how long is pumped breast milk good for?

how long does is last not refrigerated, refrigerated, frozen, with an ice pack. need to know everything thanks! and the same with powdered formula

havingaboy08

Asked by havingaboy08 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

This should answer your question about the breastmilk storage. My experience with formula, throw it away if you want to have a successful breastfeeding relationship.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Room Temp - fresh milk is 4 hours. do not use thawed breastmilk at room temperature
    Ice Packs - fresh milk - 24 hours. (don't know about frozen milk that has thawed)
    Refrigerator - fresh milk - 5 to 7 days. thawed milk - 24 hours
    Freezer - fresh milk 3 to 4 months (never refreeze thawed milk)
    Deep Freezer - fresh milk 6-12 months

When you pump, the same days milk can be mixed togther as long as the milk has been kept chilled from previous pumping sessions that day.

nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 11:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• the website anon left you will help with breastmilk storage as for formula
    once made and left out its only good for a hour toss it if she or he doesnt drink it. YOu can put it in the fridge for up to 24hours you dont wana freeze formula. But i do agree with anon if you really wana breastfeed id forget formula all together along with bottle feeding for atleast the first month or two its easier for baby to drink from a botle and if you introduce a bottle to soon you may loose with breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I really don't know about formula. I realize that some people need to do both, so I am not going to suggest you throw out formula. Similac's website suggests that you need to feed formula right away after preparing, or you can refrigerate and use within 24 hours. Never freeze formula and don't leave it at room temperature. Don't see anything about ice packs.

And, the same with breastmilk or formula - if you heat it and they don't eat it, throw it out. Never reheat it and use it later.
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 11:36 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• room temp one hour for breast milk. There is a lot to learn about breastmilk storage so to keep it all straight I went to a website (can't remember which one) and printed all the info. then I highlighted the important stuff and stuck it to my fridge. This has been so helpful to remind me of all the storage times and everything and also others can read it as well so they will know a little bit about how to store it and how long it is good and when to throw it away. (for instance for a mother-in-law who never breastfed and is clueless about it and why you even want to do it! :) )
    Anonymous

• Sorry. I was wrong about the breastmilk room temp. one hour thing. The website I found very helpful was http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/collecting_and_storing.shtml Anyway, it says. . . Freshly expressed milk can be stored at room temp. for up to 10 hours. however whenever possible milk should be placed in the refrigerator soon after expressing.
    Anonymous

• Fresh milk can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 8 days. store it towards the back. can be stored in a cooler with icepacks for up to 24 hours. placed in freezer for 3-6 months depending on how often the door is opened. store toward back. milk that has been frozen and thawed can be kept in the fridge for 24 hours. Thawed milk should not be refrozen. Once milk has been heated it can sit at room temp. for up to 2 hours. Milk that has been heated and offered to the baby can be refrigerated within 30 min. and offered again for the next feeding but should be discarded after that. You can see why I have this highlighted and on my fridge! There is more but just go to that website
    Anonymous