How should I react to this?

I got a random text from my big brother last night. I wasn't even sure it was him cause I don't have his number. He comes over a couple times for dinner when I visit my parents once a year... That has been the extent of our relationship for years. Not that we don't like each other, it's more cause we don't try. Either of us.
In the text he admonished me for using my parents. Said I was wrong and he would be calling me to talk about it later.
I responded first questioning if it was him? (area code gave me a clue) than asking him what he was talking about.
He said he had no problem with me taking the heirloom furniture my mom gave me but that I should have paid for the rental truck that we brought the stuff back in.
I told him... I told mom to give it or sell it to someone else cause I can't afford to move it. I told her we were broke because of a custody battle for my DF's kids. I spent our last penny to come visit the family and introduce them to my soon to be step-kids. The whole time mom wouldn't let me pay for anything not even a soda! It wasn't until we were pulling out of the driveway that my mom broke down crying. Said she was broke. I had no idea!
Next my brother asked if the vehicle we were driving was a rental. (new ford edge) I said yes, we had to rent a vehicle because we don't have a reliable one that seats five.
I haven't heard from him since.

WTF is my initial reaction. Is my mom twisting this around? It wouldn't be the first time. But why!? What should I do? I love my family and want them all at my wedding in august. Is there a way to stop this drama quick without more drama? Was I wrong to leave with the furniture? We couldn't have got her money back on it by the time I knew she was making a bad financial decision. Is my brother still mad at me? I'm so confused about the whole thing please help?!

Ms.Gwen

Asked by Ms.Gwen at 9:58 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• I would re-type this up and send it to your mom AND brother. Let them know that you're confused as to where this is coming from and you want to iron things out.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:01 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Call you mother and just ask her,, if there is a problem tell her that you will pay her back for the rental truck as soon as you finish your custody battle,, I think brother is just being meddlesome, but better to find out now if there is a problem,, what time of night was this? Could he have been drinking or something and gotten mad?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:03 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah, send this to them but honestle, idk why u want them at ur wedding. Another thing, are you paying for your wedding? Id pay my mom back with that money and just freaking elope.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:06 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Judging by the time and day he was having Sunday dinner with my family. The whole family shows up except me I'm many states away. I've been able to cash in some change to a grand total of $130.00 I'm going to send her with the contract for the truck. She asked me to mail her the contract for her taxes... But I know my mom she won't cash a check from me even if she needs the money. Should I still send it? Maybe a money order?
    Ms.Gwen

Comment by Ms.Gwen (original poster) at 10:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I am paying for the wedding. It's not much just Some friends in my back yard. I think it's important so we can involve his kids, otherwise I'd just elope! My first marriage I eloped and didn't even tell my parents. I want to do this the right way this time! I want my dad to give me away! We finalized our engagement during this visit. He asked my dad for permission and my dad said yes. My mom said we had to take the furniture that it was our wedding gift from them!
    Ms.Gwen

Comment by Ms.Gwen (original poster) at 10:16 AM on May. 2, 2011