Do you think these kids should be taken away from thier dad?

These kids are 9 and 14 and they were left by their mom 4 years ago and the dad was left to raise them . The dad is a aloholic, he only works 2 hours every other day and never takes care of the kids they are left to fend for themselves. The family of these kids don't want to call CPS in fear of never seeing their grandkids again but then they aren't able to take these kids in themselves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• hell yes call cps
    LisaAnnPonce

Answer by LisaAnnPonce at 11:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• How are they not able to take the kids in?? The family not taking them in and not doing anything about it are far worse IMO than the parents that abused and abandoned them in the first place! I don't have room or money, but I will take them in!! Send them over....
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• They dont have grandparents on the mothers side thats willing to help? No aunts or uncles? I dont know they should be taken away and put in to foster care that would almost for sure make the s ituation worse but i do think they should try and get him some help. if you know these kids are you able to help?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• why dont they petition for adoption? i'm sure the gparents could gain custody
    imanixon2

Answer by imanixon2 at 11:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If family members take the children in most states have assistance to help with this type of thing. I would call CPS. In many cases the family would still be allowed contact since the children are older. Either way, you have to look out for the welfare of the children, not the fears of other people it isn't directly affecting.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 11:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• the gparents can get visitiation... same with non custodial parents. yes the kids should not have to live like that, fend for themselves, that is not right, that is why foster care exists.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:33 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• absolutely they should be taken to some place safe where their needs are being met...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It really upsets me when things like this happen. But to answer your question, yes I think CPS should be called because these are children raising themselves. And it sounds like the father is unable to take care of himself let along his children.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Has anyone sat down with the dad and talked with him about the situation? Suggested treatment? CPS is not always the best answer, nor should it be the first response. It's possible that he doesn't realize how bad things are, especially if the 14 year old is able to care for the 9 year old. Don't get me wrong, he should'nt have to, and both kids deserve a happy health parent to care for them. I'm just suggesting that someone talk to him and offer some help, before yanking the kids and tossing them into the system.
    Anonymous