What is the line that is crossed on CM between offering an opinion and being judgmental?

I'm always interested in hearing comments about such and such being "judgmental." What constitutes "judging" a person/comment verses offering an opinion or making a remark?

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 10:11 AM on May. 2, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Apparently disagreeing is judging on CM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I believe it's an invisible line I call the 'sensitivity line'. Some people's are shorter than others. Some people just work really hard at being offended at comments, no matter what that comment is.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:13 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It's subjective. But there are plenty of over sensitive CMrs who Judge others opinions as judgmental. Lol
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:14 AM on May. 2, 2011

• NO ONE has the right to judge another person. I think that people on CM are looking for advise and that is what we should do. Dont point a finger or judge because no one klnows what that person is truley going thru. Give honest heart felt advise. when giving an answer answer as if it was a reply you were looking for for one of your questions.
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:15 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Offering an opinion is better said: I would or I think....

Being Judgemental is more like How could you, or I would never be like you, or that is nasty which makes you nasty, that was stupid which makes you stupid.

I think the way you answer if you have a diffrent opinion then that is fine but when you attack a person, or put them down. Forget you... LOL :) It is all in the way you answer!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:16 AM on May. 2, 2011

• difference of opinion- "i disagree. you are wrong"
    judgmental- "i disagree, you are wrong and do not deserve to be a mother"

that takes it a step further. whatever the topic may be - extended rear facing for example - not everyone does it, and those that don't extend are no less of a mother than ones that do.

just my opinion.. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:16 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It's similar to the "bashing" thing. Some people cannot handle disagreement or criticism and take everything as a personal attack, even if the person they're dealing with goes out of the way to phrase it so it's not personal. For those people, anything but blowing sunshine up their ass is bashing or judging them, and only telling them what they want to hear is "being honest".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Example would be someone asking lets say what to do because their child has gas from drinking soda. One person might say I dont think you should have given them soda but this is what can help. Judging would be someone saying youre a stupid bitch for giving them soda.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• This is my definition of a differing opinion:
    I prefer to work rather than stay home with my kids

Judgemental

Mom's who stay home with their kids are lazy and lack skill.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:24 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think when the answer is given and it's belittling or condesending, then it's judgemental. Or when people answer and assume things and pass judgement when there was never enough info to assume those things.

I also see the other side, where you tell a mom something like, "I don't think it's a good idea to use bleach on your hair if you don't know how to use it" and they say you were mean. That's not mean, it's just not what you wanted to hear when you asked the question, "How can I bleach my own hair at home?"
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:28 AM on May. 2, 2011