My dryer is broken

I tried to dry DH work clothes last night. He calles me at 8 Am from work and tells me that his clothes were not dry. He said that he turns the dryer on and it sounds funny. He opens it and notices that everything is in the exact same place. He talked to his boss and he says that the belt may have came off. He is going to look at it when he gets home tonight. For me to only run it for a little while at at time. Would you run it at all??? I am so scared it will burn my clothes or even catch the house on fire.

nicky5053

Asked by nicky5053 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Don't run it. Wait until he can check it out. And it does sound like a belt.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 11:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• it is still getting hot, but I am like you, I am just too scared to run it. What is really bad, I have a big blanket that I washed and a few towels as well and they need to be dried. Maybe I will just hang them up somehwere.
    nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• no i wouldnt run it if the belt did just slip off you could actually end up burning the belt completely and haveing to buy a new one or risk burning the whole dryer up. wait til he gets home so he can see exactly what the problem is
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:42 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Don't run it! Take all the clothes out and hang them around the house to dry, you might have to iron the things that are wrinkly. We just fixed our dryer ourselves (belt). You take your old belt to an appliance store, they sell you a new belt and the instructions on how to replace it are actually right there on the package. My new belt was $20 for a Maytag. There are also websites that will walk you through the steps.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Yikes! Don't run it! My washer is broken. I was sitting at the computer and smelled something burning. I thought, "Oh, they must be re-tarring the streets." Then I remembered they did that the week before. I ran to the laundry room and flung open the door and all this smoke poured out. I turned off the washer real quick. Opened the washer and MORE smoke came pouring out. Luckily no flames, but if i had stuck with my "re-tarring" theory we could have had some serious trouble.

Too bad we aren't neighbors - we could share machines for the day! LOL.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 1:32 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That would be nice Beth. I have hung up the things that need to be dried. I just remembered that I have to wash my oldest daughters clothes to where to her dads. I guess I will just hand wash them and hang them up so they will have a while to dry.
    nicky5053

Answer by nicky5053 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 4, 2008