Disasters as tour sites?

Apparently, they are currently trying to turn disaster sites into tour sites. Instead of taking vacations to beaches and various places, people are paying to go to places that have had horrible tragedies. Chernobyl has been closed off for years and they are now deciding to open it up as a tour site. They would be allowing people to pay to come see it.

How do you feel about all of this? I know I feel for the people who lived or was affected by the tragedies. It's as if their mourning is being mocked.

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 10:21 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Dahis -

To me, that's the difference between making a sort of pilgrimage, and would also fall into the "education" category - at least for me it does, anyway. To go to a site to learn about it, or to, in your personal way, be witness to what happened there (as a sign of respect for the losses), is one thing. To do it to get some sort of entertainment out of it is another.

I took many pictures of what I have seen and experienced (none of people searching for loved ones though -that is too personal) - for the "shock value", but to be a lasting witness to what happened here, and so others not here can see, and know, and hopefully help as they can. Not as a "look at my vacation pics" sort of thing...

Sort of like the difference between visiting the memorial in Pearl Harbor and paying your respects, and, say, going snorkeling down around the sunken hulls, hoping to glimpse remains through a porthole....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I live in Northern Japan (about 180 miles north of Sendai). I have seen the devastation here, and my family and I have, in our small way, helped with the recovery efforts - donating supplies, helping deliver supplies, volunteering for several clean up and recovery missions, literally cooking food to take to orphanages that were running out of supplies, etc. I have seen little old ladies who weigh next to nothing, standing on top of a mountain of rubble that was their home, or the home of a loved one, trying to shift debris that weighed as much as, if not more than, they did, while they still looked (over a month after the big one), for the bodies of their loved ones.

I will never forget the images, the smells, and the feelings I have seen.

I respect documenting it for historic, scientific, or educational purposes.

The thought of touring for gratuitous entertainment makes me want to vomit.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:28 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think I have mixed emotions on this one. On one hand, as humans we tend to have a need to "see the horror" not making us horrible people, it's just human nature. I think if there will be an "admittance fee" for a disaster sight, 90% of the proceeds (10% for maintainence) should go to a victims fund of some type, or SOMETHING that isn't giving a particular business, organization, governmental agency, or the like money that should rightfully be used for GOOD. On the other hand, I know most people who visited Ground Zero came back with something in their hearts and heads.......that I can see as a benefit. Anyway, that's my take.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:29 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Different strokes for different folks. They have murder tours all over the place. It's not a new phenomenon to tour areas of devastation or areas with criminal history.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:24 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think the Chernobyl one is kind of insane...I mean who's to say there isn't radiation still there? It's been closed off for years! To make it into a major tour site for money is quite odd to me. Agreed, that this money should fully go to restoring the damage. I also think those who are directly hit by it will feel as if their lives have been turned into some crude reality show and they'd have the right to feel this way
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 10:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• ugh - sorry - that should have read NOT for the shock value...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• All of our vacations are educational vacations of some kind. I see this as a way to teach our kids about history. It's one thing to read about Chernobyl it's another to actually visit the place.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• yes, but it's also another thing to make it into a paid attraction. to view it for educational purposes, reality, or to help those affected is just fine... however to pay to see it for the WOW factor as if it's a haunted house... that's just insulting. if they're going to allow people to pay to see this then why not make osama's dead body one as well so people can have some real peace at mind?
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 11:47 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Google pictures of Chernobyl and then tell me if YOU would go within a 500 mile radius...it is creepy!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:47 PM on May. 2, 2011