Adoptee's BC Problems

What sort of problems should I foresee DD having if she does not have her original birth certificate?

On the "Certificate of Live Birth" we have from Ohio, there are no signs anywhere that it is amended and not her original. I've compared it to others who are not adoptees and they look the same. How do they know?

Should we be asking BMom for a copy of her original so that it will be immediately available to DD if/when she needs it?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:22 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Adoption

• You can not use your OBC as anything other than a decoration to hang on your wall. It legally means nothing. I am not trying to be mean, I am just telling the truth.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• who works security they can plainly see I did not birth my child. My husband was with us. It was a piece of paper saying we were his parents and gave birth to him...they just look at us like - yeah right. So we have to carry the whole nine yards and kitchen sink: adoption decree and bc. Plus recent photo I.D. with us listed aschis parents done locally. Not an official I.D. But every bit helps. And this was when people were trying to sneak kids out of Hati. So of course we had to have more proof. Having a bc that reflects he is adopted would personally help us out a ton from traveling to school. But if you are not a transracial family people do not usually question or bat an eye. It may be vital my child have acess to his long form and original bc one day. Who can guess? But Obama needed his. Why should only politicians eith connections be the only ones to gain acess?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:41 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would ask her. My DH has a copy of both so he could track her down and get medical answers and what not that his family wouldn't know.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:26 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think in Obama's case it was clear why there were issues. Legally he could not get the long form. The only reason he had access was he used his authority as the President to see the form and release it. I can't get my long form. It was speculated Obama was adopted. Which would mean if adopted from another country he could not be President of the United States. Although I am unsure how that would play out even if he was adopted. It may be that adopting internationally you automatically become naturalized thus making you allowed to run for office. But in any case, I don't see the impact for your child. With mine..yes. For example: we traveled just across state lines. We flew. His bc was not enough. Because even though it looks like every other bc we don't look like every other family. They asked us in security for proof he was ours. Bc did not count. For a person
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I would absolutely get a copy of the OBC from the bmom if you can. As an adoptee it would mean so much to me to have my OBC and if my adoptive mom had gotten a copy for me it would have meant even more. Even though I know who my bio family is, having that original record of MY birth would mean so much. Not only that but it may be harder to get a passport and security clearance someday without that orginal documentation. It is really sad that millions of us cannot get this document and your daughter is so fortunate that you are able to provide it for her.
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 4:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My child's public school requires a bc. And we do not need a passport to fly within the U.S. I have never had any friend show any identification for their child while flying state to state. We flew recently and did not need a shot record. My childs bc is not sufficiant for security based on our family make up. They don't know what to make of it. They aren't blind. They know I could not have birthed him. So yes, it was an issue. Please do not tell me it was not when you were not at the airport in Texas.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Your OBC may not mean anything "legally" but it means a great deal to the person who it pertains to. I have know people who were "legally" one age, based on an amended BC, but physically a different age-based on the original and correct date BC. Almost everthing documented in your life is in some way tied to your BC, when you can drive, when you can vote, when you can collect SS, etc. Can you imagine what it feels like to know that and not be able to do anything about it? I knew someone who should have had SS 6 months sooner based on his real age but the records were arbitrarily changed with the amended BC. Sometimes even the place of birth was changed which brings up all kinds of problems. Look at what happened last week. What if an adoptee ran for or became president? Imagine them being asked to produce their long form birth certificat!
    confused969

Answer by confused969 at 9:49 AM on May. 3, 2011

• A BC doesn't count as IDENTIFICATION for anyone. I can't take my WHITE children on a plane with their birth certificates you have to have shot records to prove the child is alive and/or a passport (which is much easier) because they have a picture of the child on it. I didn't even know there was long and short form BC until a few years ago.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:37 PM on May. 2, 2011