Prenatal Vitamins with No Iron?

I dont go to my first visit for a few weeks. I have been taking a vitamin and it is making me so constipaed. I bought one without iron but I wonder if I should do without iron? I eat red meat. Should I alternate them and take the one with iron every other day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You still need the iron, you may not getting enough in your meat. Try eating food that is high in fiber.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• try taking an extra fiber pill or eating more fiber before looking for a no iron pill. you might be backed up but you never know what all babe is taking in
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Make sure you're also drinking plenty of water, in addition the extra fiber. That can make a big difference, and your body can get used to the additional iron. Fiber without water will constipate you too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:30 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You do still need iron. I take a prenatal with no iron and my iron became very low. I eat red meat also and eat a very healty diet (most of the time, lol darn cravings!) I was put on an iron supplement and it took a while for me to be able to keep them down and my iron got even lower, but thankgoodness for a wonderful mom on here who suggested an iron tablet that releases throught the day rather than all at once. I believe it is called slow fe? But I am no sure my doctor perscribed it for me and it is the generic version. You can buy it in stores also though.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:30 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Throughout*
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You should definitely talk to your doctor about this. All you'll get here is personal stories and, unless someone with a medical background answers, not much fact. This is yet one more of those things that is different for everyone and the truth is not everyone is able to take a pill with iron, like me. My story is that I was completely unable to take pills with iron. I have a stomach condition and the pills made me hurt so much I just could not do it. I told my doctor and she said it was fine to just take a vitamin without iron and watch my diet to make sure I took in enough iron. Again though, a doctor is the best bet.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I drink water all day long and I eat alot of fruits and veggies, I have always been regular. I will ask my doctor when I go in 2 weeks. I just was curious if I could could take iron every other day instead of everyday. One vitamin has 156% daily value and the other has 0%. Their is nothing in between. Thanks for all the answers so far! I will start on some fiber drinks i guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

• A vitamin with iron would make you more constipated. You can try taking a stool softner with your vitamin to help counteract the constipation effects a bit. (Some prenatal vitamins have stool softeners in them.) I wouldn't worry about your iron level. They'll check a couple times during pregnancy. If it is low, you can get an iron only supplement to take to get it back up. Some women have more issues with low iron than other. I've only had 1 out of 4 pregnancies that I had an issue with my iron being low. Even then, I didn't need to take iron daily, just a supplement 3 times a week for a couple months was enough to get it back up before birth.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• because of my picky eating habits my Dr suggest that I cook in a cast iron pan which will transfer natural iron into the foods. She also suggested raw fruits and veggies and lots of water for the constipation.... just do not take a laxitive... I use benefiber when my kids gets constipated and it works great and she never knows she is drinking it
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 11:45 AM on May. 2, 2011