Running Vs. Walking

ok before I start I have to add that I am a large girl. Now im not some Michelin girl, I have 3 kids so I am pretty active so I dont have huge rolls everywhere. But anyways I want to lose some weight and have reached a plateau and cant get over it. Would it benefit me more to walk 2 miles a day at a medium- so so fast pace or just do some running. I know I'll have to work myself up on the running. Not going to be able to just sprint off and keep it up. But i figured if i work at it a little by little it'll benefit me in the long run. So back to the original question. Whic is better? Walking or Running?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Everyone's given you a lot of good advice so far.

I'll just add that, if you are stuck at a weight plateau, you will probably need to add additional exercise while maintaining your current regime. If you walk two miles a day, continue to do that, but also run a mile. Or walk two miles, but then hop on an elliptical or spin-bike for forty minutes. The human body is very good at adapting to exercise, which is why it's important to keep switching up your workout and/or stepping up the intensity of the workout.

For example, I exercise almost everyday for 4-5 miles. One day I will run that distance on mostly flat ground. Another day I will run half (flat patches) and walk half (up and down steep hills). On the third day, I'll walk up and down steep hills for about an hour. This way, my body doesn't adapt to just one workout.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:35 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Actually intervals would be best for dropping weight. Try walking for 2 minutes and then run at high intensity for 1 minute then back to walking.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I started running when I was 242 lbs, and I'm 209 now (6 months later). Still on my way down, but I know it's made a huge difference.
    Here's what worked for me. I started out running a block, walking a block. Then running two, walking one, and building up from there. My early runs were about 1.75 miles. Now I'm up to about 4 (my longest was 5.25), and I run 5 minutes, walk 15-30 seconds. It keeps my pace steady to keep that little bit of walking in, and actually makes me faster when I get that little recovery. I'm signed up to so my first half marathon in August, and I want to sign up for a 10K this month.
    Make sure you get good shoes. Go to a running store, and have them measure your feet and watch you run and walk. The shoes make or break your run.
    There are a couple of good iPhone apps, too, runkeeper pro and mapmyfitness. Both of them have websites, too, and they're free!! They'll track your runs. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Don't start with intervals- you'll risk injury. Wait until you've been running for a bit. Try getting Runner's World magazine, books, etc, for some great info and ways to avoid injury.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Walk & try running for only one minute....then walk again until your heart rate goes down, then jog again. Keep doing this & every week or every other week, add another minute or 30 seconds to your jog. In a few months, you'll be jogging with only a little walking in between your jogs & you'll be dropping weight real fast.

start off every other day, your muscles might be sore from your first day of jogging.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I also don't suggest high intensity running, definitely jog at a slow pace in the beginning. you can injure yourself if you push too hard in the beginning.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• keep up the great work....i think walking is best at first and then pace yourself and start going alittle faster each time..then start jogging lightly and go from there..you don't want to strain your body tho...good luck!!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:58 PM on May. 2, 2011

• P.S. Keep up the good work! You have a great attitude!
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:36 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I started out at 245 lbs and went down to 23o lbs. But nothing I do gets me past this weight. Its very frustrating. So I just figured maybe running would benefit more. I dont want to just give up after losing 15 lbs....thanks ladies for the advice
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on May. 2, 2011