Need some help from Home Schooling Moms...

... or any Mom that might be in the know. My DD is 7, and in the first grade. She is having a tough time with Math, new math concepts, and her reading/spelling is coming along real slow. She is getting extra help and attention in school, and I am pleased with how they are handling this. It is NOT being swept under the rug so to speak.

So, my question is.... do you know of any good websites that I can printout stuff from to help her maintain, or excel in these skills over the summer? Are there any workbooks that you'd recommend? I have taught Arts & Craft, Wood-shop & Coached at the JR/HS level so it's very hard for me to relate to her level. I am looking for the tools to to help me help her not fall behind over the summer.

I have an idea of how I am going to do this, and I will ask her reading specialist & teacher for a detailed plan if they can provide one. But, do you all have any tricks up your sleeves?? Any tips or websites that can help?? Thank you for your help!!! ;o)

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 10:35 AM on May. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I love http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/ and http://www.learningpage.com/ the second site is for members, but it's free to register and you can download great theme units that help making learning fun. (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:24 AM on May. 2, 2011

• ABC teach is great. also spelling city. if you google those you will get the websites. Hth Cristi
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:44 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I like the workbooks Scholastic puts out. You can get these online through scholastic.com, then go to teacher resources. If you find something you like, you can always get the ISBN number and browse around for the best price on it, too. Abebooks.com is a great source for books once you know what you're looking for. For spelling in general, I would recommend focusing on different "blends" because this will help her learn what makes the sounds (i.e. "ae", "ay" "a" "ai" all make the hard "a" sound, what sounds "ch" "sh" "br" "bl" "cr" "wh" make) as opposed to focusing on individual words.

Repetition is very important at that age, and the use of manipulatives can really help them grasp math concepts.

Nothing has to be expensive. I am a teacher AND I homeschool, and I promise that you can use a lot of things that you have around the house and a couple workbooks, hand written worksheets, etc to teach a lot of these concepts.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Vocabulary SpellingCity is an excellent resource for creating free online games, resources, and printables for your little one. The games are so fun that kids don't realize they are learning while they are playing. There are precreated spelling and vocabulary lists, or you can create your own. http://www.spellingcity.com
    cjwteach

Answer by cjwteach at 5:56 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure, but good luck!
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:05 PM on May. 3, 2011