Today show interview about cyberbullying (link added)

It was just on, so it will probably be on their website later. I feel bad for the little girl they were interviewing, and she had a lot of horrible things sent to her via facebook. However, she's not old enough to have a facebook account under its rules. The kids who went after her are facing criminal charges. Should her parents also face repercussions for allowing her on the site under the age limit in the first place (in other words, endangerment)?

video of the segment is online now, don't see a text version yet:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42859314#42859314

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:45 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought FB had a special FB for Kids Section. All my grandkids have a FB account even the young ones (10, 11, 12). They play games with their friends on there.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:47 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The kids would have used another method if Facebook had not been available.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Her parents are more at fault than the other kids..

kids that young shouldnt be on social networking sites.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes. I'm at work and didn't see the show. If she was too young, under Facebook rules, they should be in trouble too. I don't understand why parents let their young children have Facebook accounts in the first place.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:49 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I thought FB had a special FB for Kids Section. All my grandkids have a FB account even the young ones (10, 11, 12). They play games with their friends on there

There is, it's called Togetherville. For children under 13.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:50 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I rather hold off on commenting until I see (read) the story. Really impressed you were even able to post something that did not have UBL name involved. Was starting to think there was a filter on for just UBL questions this morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, I think the parents should have some responsibility in the whole thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:54 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I have not seen the piece. I'm not a fan of FB-

Beyond age 5, few parents have total 24/7 control of their children. I leanered NEVER to say never. Your 8 year old goes to play at a friend's house. Do you stay at the play date? Do you visually check the computer, tv and all media at the friend's house to ensure they are protected and locked by parental controls? Do you not let your kids out of the house? Keep them friend-free and locked in a cage?

The kids doing the bullying are the people who shoulder the most blame- I always wonder how the parents of bullies parent-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:00 AM on May. 2, 2011

• How about all the young girls on Cafemom that other women encourage with semi nude photos, instructions about sex, groups for drug users, and groups for threesomes. Cafemom is just as much to blame when it comes to underage delinquency contributions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't know if i would consider them criminals but maybe a course in cyber safety at thier own expense would benefit them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 11:16 AM on May. 2, 2011