Ocd in a 3 year old?

Ok, my ds turned 3 in January. We have been very watchful of mental illness signs in him since he was very young because his biological grandmother on his dad's side has OCD, Bipolar disorder and sever anxity. Ds dad probably has undiagnosed OCD and maybe ADHD or ADD. Ds has been picking at his toes and fingers for a while (since about 1 or 2 years old), he dose it mainly when he's sitting down with nothing physical to do. Yesterday he made himself bleed twice, once by a thumb and the next time he picked off a scab. We mentioned it at a walk in clinic when he had an ear infection, she said to discurage it...we have been telling him to stop everytime we see him doing it, its been at least 5 months since that doc saw him....What might be going on in his little mind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It very well could be OCD. Or it could just be something that he does. Take him to his regular pediatrician and ask her/him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:54 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't think i would jump to that conclusion just yet. I know a little girl, almost 3 & she is also severe picker. Her mom being concerned, talked to the Dr. about it. He said they can grow out of those things, especially if you try to nip it in the bud right away. I would not be so quick to label your 3 year old....let him grow a bit more & begin school before you throw labels at him. It will be easier to detect as he grows...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:55 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Also, they say that everyone has some sort of OCD...mine is popping pimples...my DH's is cleaning (thank god he cleans!)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:56 AM on May. 2, 2011

• @samurai_chica, I absolutely believe that everyone has some form of OCD! I worry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I'm not sure when OCD typically manifests, but it could be. It could also just be a weird thing your kiddo does. Toddlers do all sorts of funny things that aren't caused by mental illness.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my 4 year old is always playing with her belly button, I think it's normal.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:16 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Instead of telling him to stop, redirect him. Give him something else to do with his hands. 3 is too young to diagnose.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:47 AM on May. 4, 2011

• You said he does it when he isn't doing anything physical, he made need to keep his hands busy so give him something else to do when you see him doing it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:28 AM on May. 4, 2011

• I agree with taz, maybe he just needs to be kept busy. He may be bored.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:30 PM on May. 7, 2011

• My son does that when he's bored. I don't think he has OCD, and as a bonus, I almost never have to clip his fingernails.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:37 PM on May. 7, 2011