Breastfeeding/supply question (tmi?)

I am 35 weeks pregnant now and my boobs have not grown at all. I keep hearing people say that they have gone up a size (or more) and that they are already leaking, I leaked a teeny bit about a month ago for a week but nothing since. I am really really wanting to breastfeed but I am worried that since I have not grown at all and since I'm not leaking that I will not be able to produce enough, especially if she decides to come early. I was told in a breastfeeding class to buy a nursing bra around 37 weeks, but if I still haven't grown any by then should I wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I didn't grow any, I didn't leak any. That has NOTHING to do with BF and your supply.

When you have baby, keep it skin to skin as much as possible and nurse the baby everytime it makes even one peep of noise. Remember, the more you nurse, them more you make and the more likely you will have enough BM. Baby will feel like it is attached to the boob 24/7 and this is ok. Also remember, BM digests faster than any formula ever will, baby's stomach is the size of a tiny marble at first and colostrum is more than enough to feed baby. Colostrum is WAY fattier and more caloric than ANY formula...and don't let them tell you that you need to supplement. Nurse baby...a lot. After a few weeks, if baby is gaining some steady weight, start counting diapers...if baby is wetting at least 8 a day..even a tiny amount of wet...then baby is getting plenty.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The sooner you start nursing after baby is out, the better. In fact, if you can immediately put baby to breast the second it's out and before they even cut the cord...that would be awesome. Not that you can't do a good job if it happens later, but, this would give you an awesome head start.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on May. 2, 2011

• With my 1st DS, my breasts didn't grow until about 5 days after giving birth when my milk came in. It was like having boobs of steel. They were uncomfortable. It is important that you nurse quite a bit. I was unable to nurse whenever baby wanted because if I nursed too much at first, my baby would get fussy from gas. It is, as if, baby took in some air when he was trying to latch on. At first, it is best to keep them on a schedule. Eventually, you can do the feed on demand. There is a book that helped me with schedules on nursing and sleeping. It is called "Baby Wise". I don't know who the author is. If you get a chance, check it out.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• @Dustbunny:

You were given VERY inaccurate information. In fact, the AAP issued a statement about "Babywise"..stating how detrimental to a baby's health it is and that MANY kids were suffering from extreme failure to thrive and admitted to the hospital because of "scheduling" feedings. You are NEVER supposed to "schedule" breastfeeding at all. You ALWAYS feed baby whenever it wants. Gassy baby does NOT come from feeding too much. It is maybe from Over Active Let Down. And that can be controlled through black feeding which is NOT scheduled feeding.

No no no to "Babywise". And No no no to scheduled nursing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• 'Babywise' advice linked to dehydration, failure to thrive Matthew Aney M.D. Expectant parents often fear the changes a new baby will bring, especially sleepless nights. What new parent wouldn't want a how-to book that promises their baby will be sleeping through the night by three to eight weeks? One such book, On Becoming Babywise, has raised concern among pediatricians because it outlines an infant feeding program that has been associated with failure to thrive (FTT), poor milk supply failure, and involuntary early weaning. A Forsyth Medical Hospital Review Committee, in Winston-Salem N.C., has listed 11 areas in which the program is inadequately supported by conventional medical practice. 

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The Child Abuse Prevention Council of Orange County, Calif., stated its concern after physicians called them with reports of dehydration, slow growth and development, and FTT associated with the program. And on Feb. 8, AAP District IV passed a resolution asking the Academy to investigate "Babywise," determine the extent of its effects on infant health and alert its members, other organizations and parents of its findings.
    BradenIsMySon

• BradenIsMySon

• oh good god, whatever you do, don't check out babywise if you want a successful breastfeeding relationship with your child. Your breast size has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with your ability to nurse. I have exclusively breastfed 5 babies, they never got one drop of formula and my bra size is a small B cup.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:06 PM on May. 2, 2011