If you shouldn't spank...what are other good ways of discipline?

I already know about time outs. They work sometimes, but other times they don't. I'd like to know some more ways of disciplining please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I personally say sometimes kids just need a spanking...I have met several children that would benifit from a little hands on disipline...that being said I usually use spankings in very particular instanses other times I find that extra chores and fewer privaliges works wonders for my kids...good luck
    lotsolove86

Answer by lotsolove86 at 11:17 AM on May. 2, 2011

• removing them from the environment where they are acting out and sit em down as a time out, but calm em down. explain, even if they dont understand. and they'll be distrtracted from what what was occuring moments prior.
    mseres

Answer by mseres at 11:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Extra chores, writing dictionary pages (if they are old enough), sentences, taking away toys and priveleges or electronics. Doing "community service"...my friend has her daughter do chores for the elderly and others that need help. Talking to your child about why the behavior was wrong and what they could have done instead. Having the child pay for any damages from poor choices, writing apology letters to whomever they hurt. Most importantly the parent needs to lead by example. Children are not mini adults that know how to behave, what is appropriate or inappropriate, they have to be taught.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• How old is your child(ren)?

Time outs work great for me and my children are 4, 2, and 14 months.

If they are older you can try sending them to their room, No dessert, take away toys or No tv, No video games or No going to friends houses.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:19 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I use time outs. I also redirect alot. Kids might do something wrong but when you redirect their attention to do something else is usually works. You can also change their environment. If they are having a holy fit inside, take them for a walk.

Answer by gemgem at 11:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Tell them to give you their hand and smack their hand and then tell them they are grounded. NO TV, Toys, or anything else they enjoying playing with. I dont do time out bc it seems to be a joke... but this works for me. I dont even have to smack her hand anymore.. she listens and minds very well!!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 11:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• You have to always stick to the time-outs. If they throw a fit or they say no repeatedly you still have to stick to your guns. They probably aren't working because you caved in at one point or another. My son used to scream no and try to escape to his room before a punishment then one day (when I actually had the patience) I sat him down and I asked him what he thinks he did wrong. (He's 3) He said he threw the blocks around the room and didn't want to pick them up. I asked why did mommy want you to pick them up? He said because it's filthy in here. (that almost made me laugh but I stayed firm) I said you need to help mommy clean.( He loves helping) I told him there are some other things he can help me with like making dinner but he has to clean up his toys first. takes some time to talk with them like this but most of the time worth it.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 11:20 AM on May. 2, 2011

• 1st offense - Squirt bottle
    2nd offense - Shock collar
    3rd offense - Taser
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 11:21 AM on May. 2, 2011

• There are really no rules that kids shouldn't be spanked. That is up to his mother and father. They need to set a discipline method that they believe in. Please don't feel like you cannot spank your child if you chose that method. A swat on the butt is still permitted. The police will not lock you up for that....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2011

• sleepycupcake you crack me up lmao! :)
    lotsolove86

Answer by lotsolove86 at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2011