Breastfeeding question

So I am planning to breastfeed. I will be home for a few months when the baby is born so I have time to do this. Now, I'm just wondering....should I get a breast pump or should I solely rely on the breast? I breastfed my first and I was educated on it but not as much as I should have been and I ended up pumping a lot because I had an over supply. I know I know, The more you pump the more you get. Yeah, no one told me that.

So what is the best way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Let the baby just nurse, because the baby will empty your breast to produce more milk. If you pump you might not empty your breast and your milk supply will decrease.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:23 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I had a pump handy, but didn't use it much at first. I solely breastfed, and honestly was a little scared of the pump:) I did end up using ti when DS was a few months old so Daddy could give him a bottle every once in a while, which he was dying to do :) I used it a lot much later on when we would leave him at my in-laws for a few hours and to mix with his cereal.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I pumped & breastfed with my second and I ended up having such an oversupply that I got too aggravated with it and quit about 3 months :( I was more successful with my 3rd...he's 7 months and I'm still breastfeeding..I guess I did such a good job he won't even take to the bottle, even though I've been trying for like 2 months LOL. Anyway...this time, I strictly breast fed, the only pump in the house was my little handheld one (Medela..works great for situations when youre away from home and feel uncomfortable feeding in public). I had NO formula in the house either.That helped a lot too. I would say for ME...not pumping those first couple of months helped me and the baby to get a hang of everything very well and I feel proud of our success..now its just so easy..I wish I had stuck with it longer with my last two!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:27 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Just feed the baby. I'm not a fan of pumping. Having a hand pump available can help with some issues, but I wouldn't pump regularly. Just let the baby eat from the breast and let your body adjust accordingly.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:35 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I have EBF 5 children and never pumped except for when one was in the nicu and I had to. If you're going to be home with the baby then I don't see the point in pumping. If you need to build a supply for going back to work then yes, I would be pumping.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 3:03 PM on May. 2, 2011