Seriously?! You are bashing your parent's parenting when your kids act like THAT?!

This weekend I was very,very angry to hear that my sister said something very unkind and untrue to my dad.
My dad was a stressed out construction worker. He provided for 8 children of his own and 6 of his brother's. He owned his own business, which was a serious drain on him. He lost his temper with us kids on occassion, and did spank us. Our other main punishment was like time out, but before time out. He would have us kneel in the corner for however long until we were willing to apologise for whatever we did. I don't agree with some of the ways he's disceplined us, and won't use them on my kids, but it was the only way he knew. His dad dies when he was 7 and he had to role model to follow except drunk uncles. He never touched a drop, and was always a charitable model of a man to us.

Last weekend, my sister's kids were acting like they usually do, loud, rude, obnoxious. ect. My dad, said "Why don't you parent your kids? Like we parented you? Kids need rules to follow!" My sister's reply? " Well, then I'd be in JAIL and what good would that do me?!" Stomp away, slam doors, not talk to anyone for a few days. Just like whenever you said anything to her when she was a teenager, only now she is 30 and the mother of 3 unruly kids. I seriously want to SLAP her right now......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't agree she made a good point, but that's my opinion. I got hit as a kid for discipline - all four of us girls did (that's how it was 30+ years ago). We don't take the same measures to our own children now, but we most certainly disipline them. If your sister is 30 and can't create her own style of discipline for her children, she's lazy or doesn't care enough to do so.

rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:29 AM on May. 2, 2011

• No wonder you bitches went anon for those answers!! You seriously think that a parent who is stressed to the max and very occassionally spanks a kid deserves to go to jail??!!!?!?!?!?? Sis thinks that ANY punishment is too much and doesn't use any form of discepline, probably much like you. Oh, ps your kids just lit your house on fire. "Oh, really? Well, kids will be kids" *mindless giggle*
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Maybe thats why she doesnt discipline them. But we all were punished alot different then we do our kids these days. She still needs to structure them before THEY end up in JUVI & JAIL. If she is so angry with DAD then why go aound him. Parents are not perfect and do make mistakes but he did take care of all those children too and run a business. was he a single dad??
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It's so good to see someone honor their parents! It's the only commandment in the bible that comes with a promised blessing. Obviously your sister doesn't do that, and I totally understand why this is hard on you. Both of my older sisters treat my mom like crap, of course she wasn't a perfect parent and she certainly made mistakes! But I choose to honor her, as I believe she was a great mother. As for your sister, I think you need to pray to find forgiveness, even though it's hard because the problem is ongoing, you have to forgive her so it doesn't eat you up. We will be judged for how we judge others. My sister, I haven't talked to for over a year. I am fine with that, I couldn't take the negativity, but i do love her and wish her well. Try to find that place and you'll be much happier! God bless!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:23 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I imagine your dad was a product of his upbringing, and he was raising his kids the best he knew how. So if he was a firm parent I can see where your sister's kids and their behavior might make dad think they need a firmer hand and more discipline. Of course no parent wants to hear someone tell them their kids are out of control or that they are lacking in parenting.... so dad's comments probably rubbed your sister the wrong way and got her mad. Hopefully your sis will see that dad meant well, even if it did not seem like it. I hope your sis will be firmer with her children, set up rules, boundaries and give consequences or some form of discipline for naughty/unacceptable behaviors.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:42 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think it is being a responsible friend/ family member to let someone know when they're making monumental mistakes (even when its how they are raising thier kids) but if you really love that person you find a tactfull way to do it.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• this is why parents don't discipline or spank their kids anymore. shit i grew up on spanking and spanked my kids. i don't care about DCFS or CPS or whatever. my kids are grown good people because they had rules, manners and were discipline correctly. they are productive members of society. you have these parents that don't discipline and their kids are shooting, robbing, pants down their legs, girls who are getting pregnant at early ages why because the parents. sorry i believe in discipline.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:09 PM on May. 2, 2011

• She had a point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Without discussing the crime and the punishment kids don't even know sometimes why they got in trouble. It might be bc mom or dad had a bad day. This is why spanking and time out without discussion doesn't work. Being forced to apologize when they are not sorry invalidates their feelings and creates anger like in your sister now. I'm sure your dad was a nice guy but his parenting skills confused her so now she doesn't know how to discipline her kids. Don't get upset with her, help her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2011