Is anyone else kind of weirded out?

Weirded out by the celebrating in the streets about Bin Laden's death? It seems a little tasteless an unwarented. It's not like Al-Queda, Islamic extremism, or the wars on terror are over...so what's the celebration about?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 11:27 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• ya i know... good way to piss them off more and attack.
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 11:28 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I get why the celebration & don't begrudge them a bit. You know Al Qaeda has danced in the street every time America took a hit.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:31 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, in a way. Not sure why, a combination of thing i guess. I'm really glad he was killed and not captured. I'm happy for the victims and their families. I know that is what I would have wanted. But it is kinda weird to see these people cheering and (almost) acting afool.
    You are right though about it not being over. It's not and someone new will take his place. Someone just as vile ans disgusting as Osama. The terror level is now worse than it was before. I think I'd really be wary come Sept and the 10th anniversary of 9-11
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:32 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah, not real sure why it's cause for celebration. I can understand why the families of the 9/11 victims would feel a sense of justice, but whooping & hollering in the streets seems a little extreme to me.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:33 AM on May. 2, 2011

Answer by EgoTryptophan 5 minutes ago

I don't think Al Qaeda should be the measure for appropriate behavior.

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I am with you. I am glad Osama is gone but it is distrubing to see the celebrating. Seems so strange to me.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't think Al Qaeda should be the measure for appropriate behavior<<<< What I was thinking... we are stopping to their level of behavior and that doesn't say much for us.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:39 AM on May. 2, 2011

• It;s symbolic to people I think. I agree on the tasteless part, just because that's what they do doesn't mean we should. Oh wait we just say we are better but don't actually act it.

He is just one person and wont actually make a difference in anything imo

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 11:40 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Living in the NYC Metro area, let me give you my take. I didn't get to the city to join those amassing but part of me wishes I could have. Even though I personally didn't lose a loved one on 9/11, I know too many that did and too many that were injured during the attack or during the aftermath. I remember standing at my office an hour south and smelling the awful odor of burning jet fuel and bodies - an hour away. Yes. I am not exaggerating. I remember the sky filled with black smoke. I remember driving home in tears and the fear that shook us all so close to the city as the story continued to unfold. Life went on - sure - but last night (and today's) celebrations in the street is a sign of what none of us would admit - we were all collectively holding our breathe waiting for some degree of closure. Taking that SOB out is not the end of the story, but it does wrap up this chapter and it's a relief. . .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Unwarrented? How so?
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:47 AM on May. 2, 2011