Boyfriends Dog

My boyfriend and I started dating about 2 years ago and late last year we decided to move in together. My boyfriend always had this very small chihuahua (around 5 pounds), and I always wondered what made him buy it. Finally one day I asked him and he told me he bought the dog for his ex gf and when he found out she was cheating on him and they broke up he kept the dog(???) Anyway before we decided to move in together, I'd been looking around for a dog for my four year old son, and now that we're living together he gets kind of offended when I mention of getting another dog. He has this chihuahua that hates kids and I personally don't even like chihuahuas, besides the fact he bought the dog for his ex, he can't expect me to have some deep connection with a dog he bought for someone else and the dog is fully aware of it. He keeps the dog in the house, and for whatever reason it isn't house trained, its peed in my bed over 3 times and it has permanently damaged the carpet so bad we pretty much have to keep him in one room and barely ever let him out. I don't know what to do to get him to understand the dog does not fit our lifestyle. I don't care if he keeps him but I at least want to get something for my son but his excuse is the chihuahua will be scared of it, or they won't get along. I don't see my son being 10 years old outside playing catch with the chihuahua thats always trying to attack him. Help?

thelovelymzbre

Asked by thelovelymzbre at 11:30 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Pets

• If he is getting defensive about this, then I would agree with the PP and get my own place and my own dog.
    kgsharber

Answer by kgsharber at 11:42 AM on May. 2, 2011

• i'd get my own place with my child and get whatever dog i wanted, i sure as hell wouldn't tolerate a dog peeing in my bed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• That dog hates you if it's pee'd in your bed several times. Ask him why he keeps the dog if it was his ex's and point out everything you have mentioned here to him. If the dog is more important to him than your relationship, then there's your CLUE to move on with your life WITHOUT this guy or his little rat bastard dog.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:49 AM on May. 2, 2011

• First off, it's a living breathing animal no matter what the breed. It seems to me the dog has gotten the shitty end of the deal. If you can't tolerate the dog, and could handle sacrificing the relationship because of it, then move. If you want to stay, then you not only made a commitment to him, but to the dog as well. You're not teaching your son anything either. He needs to learn how to care for an animal from adults, and at this point no one's acting like one. Train the dog, take him out frequently, reward him when he goes outside.
    Did you ever think maybe the dogs peeing in your bed because he's wanting attention? Dogs don't know how to hate, that's ridiculous.
    If you introduce another dog to the household they will learn from the other dog, and then you will have two dogs that pee in the house.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• The fact that he got this dog for an ex is irrelavent. The dog IS important to him and a part of his life so frankly apart of the package. It sounds like the dog needs to be trained and having boundaries set. I would talk to your boyfriend about that and get that under control before even talking about getting another dog. What it comes down to is the dog does not fit your lifestyle. If someone tried to pull this with me I would be waving good-bye to the person.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:09 PM on May. 2, 2011

• lol i take better care of the dog than he does. I walk him I buy his dog food, so calm your ass down. HE put the dog up because it was peeing all around the house, not me. All I want is to buy another dog, if he chooses to keep the dog, thats on him. How the dog got the short end is not my fault, I didnt buy it.
    thelovelymzbre

Comment by thelovelymzbre (original poster) at 12:02 PM on May. 2, 2011

• DONT get another dog, you're not looking after the one you guys have. You talk about it as if its not a pet at all, but a wild animal that you don't care about. The dog will pick up on that. Spend some time with your son training the chihuahua...get ur son to feed the chi chicken a lot that way the chi will begin to associate your son with something good. Maybe try housetraining properly (It doesnt happen overnight!!) and some tricks. If you spend time working with the dog and letting it communicate with you, you'll be able to start to understand it and forge a relationship with it. At the moment you sound like a spoilt brat, its not the dog you want so you're not going to bother with it...but its your boyfriends dog, and if you want to be serious, you're gonna have to make an effort. Shutting the dog in a room and "Barely letting it out" is just plain cruel.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:02 PM on May. 2, 2011