How would you teach your child to stay away from an abusive relationship?

I tell my kids all the time, don't let anyone tell you what to do.

Work together but don't stop your dreams for anyone. :)

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:33 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• Not spank them, help them to have a strong sense of self worth and self esteem. Lead by example, I wouldn't be in an abusive relationship so that they wouldn't see that it is ok to be in one or to be abusive to someone else. Giving them skills to solve their problems using communication. Teaching them to be respectful and tolerant of others that are different.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Just by showing them how a loving/respectful relationship should be. By not arguing in front of them, and of course never being emotionally and physical abusive towards one another.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:36 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I think it starts with building self esteem and a healthy sense of self.  When you feel unworthy or unsure of yourself you are the ideal target for an abusive personality.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I will tell them ahead of time that this is not what a relationship should look like. And if they do get in a relationship like that I will tell them my own story.

Also, show them how a loving relationship SHOULD look like with me and my husband.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 11:38 AM on May. 2, 2011

• That they have family that loves them and to also love themselves
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 11:39 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Dh tells her all the time that if a man ever hit her he'd be dead. lol.

We just teach by example. Dh and I never fight. She sees everyday what a healthy relationship is like.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:45 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I actually had this one tossed in my face. my DD's best "friend" was hitting her and telling her what to do when she was 3. I looked at her and told her "Don't ever let anyone hit you and never do anything you don't want to do or that isn't right just because someone tells you to."

She told him off and said she didn't want to be his friend anymore. I was very proud and two years later she will tell people the same thing I told her (Well, in kid talk but its the same thing) when she sees someone being bullied or picked on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I will lead by example. You can tell them anything you want but unless you live what you say it will not change a thing. Once my girls are that age, I hope to have a very open relationship where they could talk to me if ever in this situation and I will always keep my eyes out for warning signs.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:05 PM on May. 2, 2011