what do you think about babies sleeping on their tummy?

My son who is 8 weeks old only sleeps on his tummy it scares me but he does fine! If i put him on his back he wakes up 5 min later

Patience909

Asked by Patience909 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter slept better on her tummy.
    I would just keep and eye on her will she was on her tummy..
    I could see her the whole time she was napping.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• We started putting my son on his belly because he would choke in his sleep. We tried laying him on his side, but he would end up right on his back. It scared me at first, but we almost had to let him sleep that way. My daughter now also sleeps on her belly. She would be up 4 and 5 times a night before we that. It's a personal preference though.. I say if it works for you, then your fine
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That was the only way my son would sleep. I had the same problem you did. For years people were told to keeps babies on their tummy's when they sleep, and now its their back... I'm sure that your little one will be just fine.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• whatever works for you and your baby is really all that matter. like the other mom said, as long as you're able to keep an eye on him it's fine. All that stuff about SIDS and sleeping on the tummy i believe you can throw right out the window. for years babies were preferred to sleep on their tummy, now they're changing it to the back. my parents raised all of us sleeping on our tummy and we came out just fine! :) the new belief about SIDS is that it may occur due to too much carbon dioxide the baby is breathing in. so avoid stuffy rooms, perhaps use a fan if your worried to circulate the air better. But what's important is that the baby and you are happy!
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• All sick of my children slept on their tummies. They are now 20, 19, 17,15 11, and 10. I would just go check on them when ever I would get a feeling of alarm, thankfully they were always ok. The only time any of them had trouble was at the hospital when they laid my daughter on her back ; she started to choke so I got up and put her on her tummy.
    wifeof1momof6

Answer by wifeof1momof6 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• A recent study shows that having a fan in the bedroom with the baby can help reduce the risk. They say that the danger is when CO pools up around baby's nose and mouth and s/he doesn't get enough oxygen. The fan helps circulate the air. It's worth a shot if baby is going to be a belly sleeper.
    Also if baby will be a tummy sleeper stick to it. IT's more risky to switch it up then to just keep him on his tummy.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• For the first 3 months my son never seemed to sleep. Then one night I put him on his tummy and he slept great for the first time. Just make sure that the crib sheet is tight so it cant bundle up around his face and there are no toys or blankets he can get smothered up in. I agree too with the fan idea. My son still sleeps with a fan at night
    SarahShirey

Answer by SarahShirey at 12:19 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You baby should sleep on it's back. All these mom's will say their baby was just fine.. do it! But have you talked to the mom who's baby wasn't just fine? Do you want to be that mom? I wouldn't risk it. My baby still doesn't sleep through the night at almost 5 months, but there is no way I am going to put him on his belly so I can get the extra sleep... it seems selfish to put him at risk for my own needs. He gets enough sleep.. he sleeps when he is tired. To me, putting your baby on his belly because he doesn't like it... is the same as not putting your baby in a carseat because they don't like it. Chances are your baby will be fine and you won't be in an accident... and most of our parents and grandparents NEVER had car seats and they are just fine.... to me it sounds the same! But I bet your baby is buckled in each and everytime.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:55 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I didn't start letting my daughter sleep on her tummy until she could roll over and get that way herself. I always would put her down on her back or side then she would roll over herself. I will keep my son, now 2 months old on his back until he can roll over himself too. That's just us though.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My son has only slept of his tummy since he was very young. He would not sleep any other way. If it makes you feel more comfortable you can get an Angel care monitor so, it will alert you if he stops breathing. He also slept in his swing for months. You might try this as an alternative.
    Anonymous