Ok, obviously no one is understanding what I was asking. LOL So...

I AM, in fact, going to tell my employers TODAY when I will be leaving my job. I understand that they would like to know and need to know at the earliest possible time before I leave. I had sat down and discussed a date with my fiance this weekend and planned on telling them. I work for a two independent lawyers. There is NO handbook or guidelines in place and no HR department.

I will be getting married June 18th, I decided to leave my job May 20, but, we ONLY decided on this date Sunday.

Now, my questions is this...When I came into work this morning, there was an office e-mail to me stating this:
Zelda and I need to know the last day you plan to work.
We need to know this no later than tomorrow.
thanks
Does this seem a little rude to you? I know that the boss that sent it is mad about something and I am thinking that her demanding that I tell them by tomorrow is rude. Like I said, I know they want and need to know, but, my job is NOT hard and there is really no training required. She merely sent it because she is mad.

Am I the only one that thinks her asking/demanding is rude?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 AM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, that sounds abrasive.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:57 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Don't think it is rude at all. They need to know when your job is coming available for their own reasons. I don't care what kind of job you have, you should always provide a resignation letter with the last work day noted.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:57 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I dont think her email sounds rude. I think in email/txt it is hard to tell emotion since you cant see body language. It may be a little blunt but I would just go in and tell them you discussed it with your husband just last night and your last day will be May 20th.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:57 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Hon, I don't think it's rude. They are a business, and whether your job is hard or not they have to find a replacement. What you don't think requires training, may actually involve training (there has been jobs that I have had that I thought were common sense jobs and in actuality they were not). I wouldn't take offense to it, just give them your last day and go on about your work. Good Luck.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Well, I just gave my notice as well, and they asked me the same thing, I would hope that they just don't want to be left high and dry, and hopefully you can train someone to replace you,, congrats on the wedding!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I realize I need to tell them. I planned on it. I was going to let them know today anyway. But, a we have to know by tomorrow seems overkill.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 11:58 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I can see your point, but also as someone who owns businesses and makes these types of decisions, I can also see their point of view. I am not saying you are doing this, but when you have someone saying they are going to be leaving after they find another job, or when their SO gets out of school, etc, it's hard to plan your business and your personal stuff around. When we have situations like that, we basically are wondering when we have to put the ad in the paper, when we have to go train someone, how long it's going to take, etc. etc. It's a pain in the butt. So, lately, we have just been filling the spots as soon as we know someone is going to leave. That way, we can do it when we are available. I'm guessing that is what they are going to do with you, release you once they find out the date you are planning to leave. Anymore it seems like lots of companies release once you give the two weeks notice.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Not to me it seems professional hon, they already know you are leaving so they are giving themselves time to interview and such before you go.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 11:59 AM on May. 2, 2011

• I understand how it seems like by her giving you a deadline its like she doesnt think you were going to let them know and would keep them hanging. You could even tell her...didnt mean to keep you hanging jus thad to discuss a few details with my husband. Kill 'em with kindness :)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:03 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't think the email is rude, I think it is straight to point, you really can't get too much emotion from a short email like that.
    newmommie091

Answer by newmommie091 at 12:04 PM on May. 2, 2011