Anyone who gets cold sores have this problem?

After I had my DD (2 years ago)..I started getting cold sores way more frequently then I did before I had her..before getting pregnant I had only had a total of 3 since i was a kid....now I get them every couple of months and its sooo frustrating.. I just feel like every since I got pregnant my immune system has crapped out on me!! I also breastfed for a full year....the only time I didnt get a cold sore was when the doctor put me on paxil for like 5 months because I was having some anxiety...after I stopped taking it I started getting them again and even more frequently..All of the medical websites say you the outbreaks become less frequent with time..that has not been the case for me!

and please dont explain to me that its caused by the Herpes Virus (HSV-1) and all that because I already KNOW ..ive had them long enough that ive done PLENTY of research..im not asking what causes them im asking why they are happening more often

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• have you talked to your Dr about this? Stress can make them occur more often in some people.
    SuzanneL09

Answer by SuzanneL09 at 12:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Sorry, I know how it is. When you 1st feel like it is coming on, put antibiotic ointment on it. ( neosporin or generic) I used to get them and since I started doing this, I haven't had any. May sure to thinly coat the outside and inside of mouth around that area. Good luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have been getting them since I was a kid, omg, I hate them. Although I rarely get them now, I have been getting them for a long friggin time. Knock on wood I dont' want to jinx it, I also eat alot better now....

As she said stress, some foods bring it out which I am sure you know about it, not enough amino acids in your body. I would definitly speak to the doctor about it. Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• stress, immune system low, lack of rest. Try to talk back with your dr, if they are that frequent he may be able to put you on something to help with the reoccurance. Good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:23 PM on May. 2, 2011

• i started getting them a few yrs ago and mine were horrible..my main problem that causes outbreaks is the wind, being in the cold or being in the heat..and when i go outside or in the tanning bed i always put on chap stick..i even got to the point where i was sleeping with chap stick on bc my lips were drying out at night and causeing them..although i must say i didnt get any when i was pregnant..other than that i try to keep some valtrex on hand and as soon as i feel one coming on i start taking my pills...also my mil swears by a vitamen called lysine 500 she takes it like crazy and it seems to really work for her...
    Anonymous

• A weakened immune system is the reason for any flare-up, small or big.

Stay away from the traditional OTC products and even Rx ones. Here's what I started doing when I was experiencing them much more often.

Take Vitamin C daily (I take anywhere between 2,000-5,000 mgs daily) as a preventative measure. It is a natural anti-viral and can sometimes keep them at bay. If you start to feel that little tingle of a cold sore coming on, up your intake to 1,000 mg ever hour for 1/2 a day or so. This usually stops it in its tracks. Don't worry, you can't OD ... Vitamin C is water soluble and what you don't use will simply flush out of your system. If you reach saturation with Vitamin C, you may notice loose stools but that's it. That just means you've met your limit.

Also, up your immune system by taking probiotics, supplementing, eating right, resting, and managing stress. GL!
    Anonymous

• You got off paxil? I've been on it for 14 years,...and havetried twice to get off...the withdrawal was to much for me so I ot back on
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:59 PM on May. 6, 2011