• In the Spotlight:

If your son was failing his classes would you get him an X-box 360 for Christmas?

My brother is addicted to video games and he is neglecting his homework. His grades are poor and he is asking for money to buy an X-box 360. I am very disapointed in him. I am thinking of talking to his mother (we share the same father but not mother). Would that be going too far?

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• nope I would get him socks
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If I had a teenage son, there's no way in hell I'd be buying him such a huge gift for Christmas if he had failing grades. Sure, he would still get something...but it probably wouldn't be something he wanted. I see no problem with you talking to his mom...you're this kid's sister, and it's your right to be concerned, yanno? Christmas gifts are rewards for a year of being good (at least in Santa's eyes, hahaha), and if he isn't "being good", he shouldn't be rewarded with such a big gift.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• What does his grades have to do with Christmas? I agree that rules regarding when, what and how long he can play need to be established but Christmas gifts shouldn't be given or not given due to behavior... Unless you are going to give the bad kids coal...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:16 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It really is none of your business. School and Christmas are not connected. Getting presents for Christmas is not because you were "good". It is because you are loved. MHO. My opinion is that you are jealous of dear younger brother.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think that it's a good idea to withhold an X box.
    A. It will be a new distraction and will not be conducive to his getting his grades up
    B. When you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing, you don't get what you want!

A student's #1 job is to be a student. He shouldn't be given what he wants while performing poorly.
    When I was in HS, my parents demanded only that I get a 3.0 GPA or higher every term. Once, when I failed to do that- I didn't get to go with my mom and sister to visit my brother (who was in the Marines, stationed in CA). It broke my heart, but mom's consistency taught me I had to deliver.

Talk to his mom. If she gets him an Xbox under these cicumstances, she'll be turning him into a spoiled brat (as there are so many of nowadays, it seems) and teaching him there are no consequences. Someone posted yesterday about Accountability, a good word.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• And what should go into a tattle tale's stocking?
    Anonymous

• What I would do, Is if it is somethng he/she really wantd. I would get it for them. But! I would not give it to them right away..Tell him if he wants it he will pull up the grades. Or maybe if he was old enough I would tell him you have the money for it..But he wont be able to go by the system until his graded went up...Give him somethng to work for!
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I can understand that *IF** the child has been told all year long that this is a consequence for bad grades. And you're wrong. Children are put on this earth to be children, not professional students.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• And of course, he should still get a gift for Christmas- just something mama thinks he needs, and not something he wAnTs :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You know, I wasn't picturing a child in my head this whole time. I was picturing, like, a 16 year old kid!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2008