Does milk cause phlegm?

My daughter has a cough, I have been turning on her humidifier at night to break it up. My mo0ther in law who is in town visiting said that it is because I give her milk before bed and it causes plegm. Is this true?

damselphish

Asked by damselphish at 12:27 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it does not cause it, but it makes it worse. i do not give my kids milk or really any dairy when they have a cold or yucky nose or anything like that.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:33 PM on May. 2, 2011

• When dealing with congestion, mucus, phlegm, etc., the last thing you should ever give is dairy.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it seems to cause more phlegm. i'd eliminate the dairy-milk, cheese,etc. till she's better.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with all the above moms to eliminate as much dairy as you can when your child is sick because it makes them more stuffed up.
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 10:49 PM on May. 2, 2011