Tips on re-homing dog.

I have a male pug I am wanting to re-home he is 1 year old. I have tried to train him but he has to stay outside because he sprays everything. I let him in the house yesterday and he sprayed my couch.
I really need some tips on re-homing

he is fixed has been since he was 5lbs and 6 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pets

• #1, BE HONEST. There are pet rescues out there who can help in rehoming, just don't not tell them about the spraying...it will just make it harder on the dog to find the right home. Good luck!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 12:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Try to find a rescue in your area that will take him. At 1 and untrained it will be more difficult to rehome him but a rescue might take on the challenge. Was he ever fixed sometimes that helps with training. I have never really heard of a dog that sprays I've only heard about cats doing it. I hope you find him a nice home good luck!
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 12:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Is he fixed? Try that first perhaps.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes he is fixed! I got him fixed when he turned 6 months and was 5lbs.
    I have taken to dog classes and to be honest i think he was dropped on his head as a puppy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:34 PM on May. 2, 2011

• he's be less likely to pee on stuff if he were neutered
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:35 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Look online for pug rescues,, My shitzu was like this and it took forever to get him to stop.. but people who know the breed will have a better idea of how to handle him,, and you can be sure that he won't be put down.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:37 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Why not try training him instead of just putting him out. And google belly bands, they help. I don't have any tips on how to successfully give away a problem. I understand sometimes dog's have to be rehomed. What bugs me here is that if he werent "marking" (cat's spray, dogs mark) you would keep him forever. But as it stands, to you he is a problem and so you want to give him away. The truth is, if he had been properly trained he wouldn't have this problem so this is all your fault. Sorry to sound harsh, but I see this kind of crap all the time and it's sickening.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 3:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with Marshsmom! It is not the dogs fault he was not properly trained. Why not hire a trainer/ behaviorist to help solve the problem rather then shoving the problem on somone else.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have paid $200 plus dollars for training classes starting when he was a puppy. I have a full time job plus I am about to have 2 kids.
    I highly doubt you would keep a dog that has ruined drywall and furniture, Even messing up baby stuff.
    I would not shove it on someone else, Thats why i am being 100% upfront with the fact he sprays.
    I have bought almost everything to stop him from spray minus the belly band never heard of that.
    What is wrong with giving him to someone who wants him? NOTHING AT ALL.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:00 PM on May. 2, 2011

• You are getting rid of the dog there for you are shoving your problem on someone else. You went to classes which is great but it sounds like this dog and the owner need 1 on 1 time with a trainer. They do come to the house.

I have kept a cat that destroyed the arms of a sofa so why wouldn't I keep a dog that had been distructive. I am willing to put the time and effort into my dogs (and cats) to teach them not to do those things. I also crate my dogs until they have shown me I can trust them not to do that sort of thing. I also excersise my dogs enough that they are either to tired or won't be bored enough to do that.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:20 PM on May. 2, 2011