18 month old is a climber!!

My 18th month old is now learning to climb on absolutely everything. In the last two days she has taken 3 falls. One for a chair in the living room, one from a chair at my desk in our bedroom, and another from a bench that sits below our window in our bedroom. The bedroom has all wood floors and the living room has the huge hard tile. Needless to say I am worried. I am making the call for a same day apt right now. She is showing no signs of anything bad but I am still worried. She has always been a dare devil and would try to climb over the back of the couch and as a younger baby she would jump off the bed and sometimes catch herself but other times wouldn't. That however was always on carpet. She again never showed signs of anything. I am just really worried as now the floor was harder. What do all you moms out there think??

1stTimeMommy101

Asked by 1stTimeMommy101 at 12:34 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the little monkeys heads are alot harder than we think. I also would take her to the doctor it is not worth the risk. My lil one fell off the back of our couch and knocked herself out for the longest minute and a half of my life, we went to the hospital and had a catscan and thank goodness she was fine, she was also 18 months at the time. Good luck!
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 12:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• As long as they do not lose consciousness, are not leaking fluid from the ears, or acting disoriented, they should be fine. Also, nausea and vomiting after a blow to the head are signs of a concussion, so if your LO shows that after a fall then definitely take her in. You'd be surprised how resilient little ones really are- I thought for sure that my third child, a boy, was going to have permanent brain damage from all the times he hit his head on something, but they never seemed to phase him! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I feel for you momma! My son's the same way, he was climbing tress before he was two and even tried to climb on to the roof once! I'm always worried that he's going to take a bad fall and hurt himself and the only way I've found to coup is to make sure he's never alone, yes it's a big hassle but when you have kids with no fear you kinda have to!

And just remember, just because your kid falls sometimes doesn't mean you're a bad mom! just means you're human!

Hope everything is ok with you DD is ok!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2011

• That sounds just like my son! He wants to climb on anything and everything. Have you taught your daughter how to get down from things she climbs on? We taught my son to turn around and get off the furnature feet first. He also knows how to go down stairs backwords. I still have to watch the little booger, he's so clumsy!
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 3:19 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Just wanted to let you all know, I called the nurse advice line and she said pretty much the same thing as all of you! We also went to her pediatrician because she had a well baby apt due and I asked him then. He said that babies heads are a lot stronger than most mothers think lol and that it would be almost unheard of to have any type of damage to her head from falling off a chair. He says it has to be much higher like on a counter top and reaching for something higher. I never put her on the counter so that isn't an issue for us until she figures out how to crawl onto the top of the counter lol. Thanks everyone for your support!!!! Its great to know other mothers who have dealt with the same issues!!
    1stTimeMommy101

Comment by 1stTimeMommy101 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on May. 11, 2011