Hydrogen pyroxide - food grade (H2O2) vs. non - for teeth whitening? Safety?

Been researching and it seems many have success, better than through dentists even, with HP for teeth whitening but here's some of my concerns:

Using standard HP 3% that you typically find at any pharmacy or drug store states to not use/swallow/ingest; clearly, this is not meant to be used for this purpose. Many people claim that you need to use 35% food grade hydrogen pyroxide which you dilute to a 3% solution to get the results you're looking for. Though you can find 35% FGHP, it is dangerous to handle. Keep in mind this is the same stuff people use (in diluted form) for H2O2 therapy (ingesting). Do you know of any pharmacies that sell FGHP already in 3% diluted form???

Have any of you ladies used any kind of HP for teeth whitening? And please, don't tell me to have it professionally done ... I did twice over the past 8 years and the effects were barely noticeable (and my teeth are in pretty good shape, I just wanted to brighten up a bit).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I have read that the peroxide that they sale in pharmacies or grocery stores is the type you use. You are suppose to keep it in your mouth for 10 minutes. Do not swish it around because it causes too many bubbles and it's hard to keep your mouth close when this happens. I have used it and it does work. You are not suppose to swallow it not sure you are suppose to swallow anything that deals with your teeth/mouth. ie mouthwash, toothpaste,whitening strips etc.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 8:10 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I had my wisdom teeth out a couple years ago and my dentist told me to rinse with hydrogen peroxide twice a day for 2 weeks to help keep the stitches clean. I noticed a lightening on my teeth. Pretty neat!
    angiemgiu

Answer by angiemgiu at 5:02 PM on May. 3, 2011