Is my son advanced or are you just a bed mom?

My two year old son knows hes colors, shapes, animal sounds, body parts, the alphabet, and he can count to twenty in English and to ten in Spanish and French, and he speaks in full sentences among many other things.

This is not me bragging about my son because while I think the world of him, I don't think is more advanced or gifted than any other child.

The reason he knows these things is because I work with him and not on a daily basis but an all the time basis. And before you ask I'm not a stay at home mom, I go to work just like most single mother but I still find the time to make my sons education a priority!

I guess this is less of a question and more of a rant about mothers who wait for preschool for their children education to start. Feel free to weigh in on what I've said to either agree with me or call me a a total bitch! I'm interested other mothers opinion in the matter.

PaCsSupermom

Asked by PaCsSupermom at 12:57 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Good for you mama! I think education is important too. =) I think it's important to show kids the world while teaching them about it. Simply explaining every day things we do is also important.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:03 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Nope, I'm just a "bed mom" ;o)

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:03 PM on May. 2, 2011

• You really need to get off your high horse, for reals. Just because a child cannot do all those things you listed does NOT mean they are less than your son, or that the parents are "bad mothers". I know of children who far exceed what your child is doing at the same ages - that doesn't discredit your child's knowledge nor does it make the other children superior to your child. Seriously, just be a mom to your kid and do what you feel is right for him. Remember that they are only little just this once; don't waste away your time comparing your kid to others. And don't dare think you have the right to call other moms "bad" because your kid can count to 10 in French.....which, btw, is useless at this age.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:06 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Meh, I never really cared either way. If a child is advanced, then they are advanced, big deal. Not all toddlers learn at the same rate no MATTER how much or even if they are worked with.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:00 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I've got news for you. Your child is advanced. You just don't know it because you haven't spent time around regular children. He obviously enjoys learning. The boy is a little sponge! If he found it hard or wasn't ready to learn he would fight with you or ignore you and all you "making his education a priority" would be a waste of time. But you have a gifted one, so it is working for you. Other gifted kids care nothing about counting to ten in French, but want to be left alone with their mega blocks. Keep up the good work. Keep giving that sponge more to learn. But don't inflate your own ego. It isn't all you. It is mostly him.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• In all honesty, no one said that those that aren't like your son "have trouble learning". They just do not have the ability to learn it. My son was even far more advanced than yours, I did NOT make educating him the entire of his preschool years. Yes, I talked to him like an adult and pointed things out, but, his high-order thinking, his vocabulary mastery and his cognitive skills were far advanced of any of his peers.

Personally, you do seem like a bitch judging from your snotty tone. Your son is slightly advanced AND you do force the issue. My son was even further advanced based solely on his understanding of everything around him and the way he perceived things.

Based on his I.Q., Gates and other tests, he scored as advanced/genius.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Maybe you should reread what you wrote. It definitely came off as snotty. You also stated feel free to call you a bitch to so don't get mad when they do. Or find it "funny" which is what most people say when they get offended.

nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:21 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I teach my son daily, but I don't make his world revolve around education. I don't feel I am a bad mother just because he can't speak in full sentences at the age of 19 months.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Damn you have to do all this to stir up a debate? Good for you that your kids know all this, but don't try to put other moms down because their kids don't certain things. I don't feel bad that my child don't know French or Spanish or can count to 20. As long as I know that I am doing the BEST that I can for my child I really don't give a rat ass what is the "norm" and what is advance.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:01 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Perhaps I didn't read all the posts carefully enough, I didn't see anyone make fun of the fact that your son can speak french. And yeah, you call other mothers bad moms, you bet you'll have a bunch of defensive posts. In fact, your being quite defensive yourself. I don't think your a bad mom, if you feel that you are doing what is best for your child, good for you. I don't feel that your approach would be best for my kids. Call it difference in our perspectives on life if you will.

Your post is degrading, not to just moms, but to their children as well. Children learn at different levels, they develop differently. Perhaps your 2 yr old is advanced, or perhaps he will get the same grades as the boy he sits next to that only knew how to count to 3 at the age of 2.

My perceptive is that you are young at mothering, and you have a lot to learn about grace and humility.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:39 PM on May. 2, 2011