Is it my fault?

I babysit a 3 year old girl four days a week. She arrives around 8:00 everyday. Well today her mom apparently needed me earlier. The problem is I finally called her around 8:30 because she wasnt here and I just wanted to see if she was showing up. When I called the mom was really mad. She said she was trying to get in contact with me since 7:00 but I didnt answer my phone. I checked my caller id and it has her only calling once at 8:09. My phone was in my bedroom so that is why I didnt hear it that time. But she said she came over around 7:30 and I wouldnt answer the door. I was in the shower at that time. I felt so bad because she had to miss work today. I offered to have her still come over but she said it was too late. She blamed me and yelled at me because I didnt hear the door. Is it really all my fault?

YoungMomtoGirls

Asked by YoungMomtoGirls at 12:17 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well I don't really think anyone is at fault. It sounds like a simple misunderstanding. You were expecting her at normal time, so you jumped in the shower. If you didn't get her call, what can you do about that? I would give her time to cool down, I think she will probably come to her senses and call you and apologize for being so angry.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• yes you should have never taken a shower. lol just joking no it is not your fault if she needed you earlier she should have let you know at least the night before.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• no i dont think it is you cant help it if you dont hear the door while you are in the shower
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• No it is not your fault. She needs to respect your job. She knew she needed to be at her job early and her boss did not start calling her at 7 to see if she could work. You have set ours with her she needs to respect that. Possibly she will understand if you explain it to her in this manner, maybe she won'.; Either way don't feel bullied into thinking it is your fault, you were following your normal routine
    wifeof1momof6

Answer by wifeof1momof6 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If she needed you earlier she should have called you last night. If I were you I would talk to her and work something out where she knows when you can expect her and how late she can call you with any changes...So this doesn't happen again.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:24 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I do not think it is your fault. She should have called you the night before.
    I have watched children since I was 12 and I was a nanny for 8 years..I would not tolerate her disrespecting you. She talked down on you, and I would speak up. She needs to respect you, after all you are taking care of her children.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:25 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Thanks ladies for making me feel better about this. I was really starting to wonder if I was at fault some how.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 12:29 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Not your fault. She should have said something last night if she needed you earlier, and if she had, then it would be your fault. But she didn't, so it is perfectly fine that you would go about your normal routine, and she'll just have to get over it. My kids are both in school now, but they used to stay (and still do on school breaks) with an home sitter. I always used to tell her when I picked them up if I would be early or late to drop off or pick them up. I also tried to let her know many days in advance when I could and remind her more than once b/c she was so busy with so many kids. Sounds to me like this mother just wanted to take advantage of you and is mad that she got thwarted.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• thats horribble.....maybe she is streesed out w. the holiday and taking it out on you?? gosh.....now what happens????????????
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I agree with other ladies - just to be supportive I will say it too. There is no way I would tolerate abuse from her because *SHE* gave you no notice and tried to call moments before she wanted to bring the child over. Honestly, I would be angry. I would inform her I expected to be paid for today, that I didn't break my side of our agreement... and that, in the future, she shouldn't expect me to be available without 24 hour notice and my AGREEING to it. You're not her slave - you're her sitter. The audacity of some people to be so rude. :(
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2008