Why is it okay for YOUR dog to be off a leash!?

Ok I have an 80 pound pitbull.  He normally gets along with little dogs and it's the big ones we have to stay away from. But this morning as I was leaving my door with my dog on his leash, a Chihuahua ran up. It's owners were calling it to come back and it kept getting closer to my dog as my dog positioned himself against our front door and began growling and showing his teeth. What pisses me off is that if that dog would have been mauled by mine, mine would have been taken away and put to sleep!

Leash laws apply to everyone! No matter how tiny and harmless your dog may be! Why is it okay for some and not all??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pets

• THIS is why I live in the country.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:10 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's unfair for some to obey rules and others feel like they don't have to.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:11 PM on May. 2, 2011

• This really pisses me off...I have an 85 lb. pit mix and I can't even take her on a flippin walk b/c of these damn little dogs that are always running loose!!! Once I was walking both dogs and a neighbor had her little american eskimo out loose in the garage...well, both my dogs took off and the leash pulled my feet out right from under me...I was 4 months pregnant!!! AND WE will be the ones at fault b/c of the breed..which is ridiculous...this gets me too!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:12 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's not okay for the other dog to be off the leash...........I am so glad to hear your dog didn't get to the chihuahua.......congrats on that. Maybe you can contact animal control and report the owners of the little dog....?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with you! My neighbors have a Chi that they KNOW will bite and allow it to run loose because it is small and cute. But my dog, who is a bulldog, can barely go out to go potty in our fenced in backyard without someone having a hissy fit! I take her out with me sometimes, and that little dog runs up and starts barking and growling at ME, she gets in front of me to protect me, and is ON A LEASH, and somehow it's my dog's fault when the owner of the Chi comes to get her dog?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I say because they are animals.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:15 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah, we have a neighbor who refuses to keep the dog in, she is above all others. She swears the dog never leaves their yard, but as soon as they leave, the dog roams the street, using everyone's yard as its personal restroom!! The rest of us with dogs, keep them in and take them out on leashes, in our own yards!! So annoying!!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 1:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• What I really hate is..."it's okay for my dog to be off a leash because he/she is trained." Even the best trained dogs disobey. I remember one day my dog escaped the front door when my dd was coming in. I chased him down and caught him only to receive a lecture from some random guy. I did kind of go off on him. Because A.) This was the only time my dog had ever gotten out. B.) The man had his two dogs in the front yard without leashes. and C.) It was quite obvious I was already chasing him down and doing something about his escape.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I started hissing and growling at the Chi to go away lol I don't know why but I really wanted to scare it because my dog was positioned to swallow that Chi and it was only getting closer to smell him. And IF my dog really wanted to go after it, he could have easily taken me with him but I held on to him with all my will. I think my dog was just warning that Chi to not get any closer to his front door. Know what I mean?

I really don't want to call Animal Control. I'm afraid it'll come back to me and if Animal Control gets a hold of my dog, I'll lose him for good. They don't give his kind chances.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree that there should be a leash law for every dog. I am guilty of not using a leash almost always but that is because my 1 year old Siberian Husky was trained, and still works with, my brothers German Shepherd mix who is now his K9 assistant at the police department. Kira (my husky) heals by my side anytime we are not in our fenced in yard or in the house. Even in a dog park full of dogs or when we are on a walk, she COMPLETELY ignores all other dogs, people, etc even when they try and call for her or get her attention unless I give her the command that it is okay. I had a lab when I was younger that was trained this exact same way but I had to pay to put him through the training and it was a HUGE chunk out of my pocket but well worth it. I think if someone has a dog as well trained as that then there is no need for a leash. But yes it is annoying when I go on walks and dogs unleashed charge me and Kira. Train or Leash!
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:48 PM on May. 2, 2011