Autism...People are so quick to jump on the vaccine bandwagon..just wondering what your thoughts are on this and have you ever really taken the time to research this??

http://www.autismweb.com/diet.htm

There are SO many problems that are becoming relevant in relation to gluten...people are actually seeing a reversal in osteoporosis and migraines...more and more people are being diagnosed with celiac disease and approximately 90% of the population has some kind of sensitivity to gluten and doesn't even realize it..My child does not have autism..however, I wonder if this is causing more problems in children that we even realize??? what are your thoughts????

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think gluten is a bigger culprit in autism and other maladies more than is realized.

I can only speak from my own experience ... I cut back on gluten (I wasn't diagnosed with anything but research led me to believe it does a body more harm than good) and I feel wonderful. EVERYTHING has improved, particularly my focus and energy. My kids are sensitive to casein and removing it from their diet did wonders for them.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have researched this and it is very common for autistic children to be on a GF diet for this very reason. It's kind of old news at this point but still relevant.
    Anonymous

• it might be old news...but the gluten thing is relatively new to me and the only thing you hear about autism is vaccines...just curious.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 1:14 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My nephew had ADHD and a gluten free diet helped him to the stage where he was getting better grades in school. As for autism I'm not sure because I have no experience of it.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 1:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's possible. I've been researching this Paleo diet/lifestyle thing. It's so interesting to read how we have so many issues now that we didn't have in the past. Also, it's interesting to look at the people who live on fresh food diets in other countries... foods that have not had any pesticides used on them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah I've researched it, and we tried the Dr wallach's 2 week gluten test. We felt no different. I went gluten free for 3 mo and still felt no different. I know that for some people it helps, and I have heard that it does help with some children who display autistic behavior, however I do not think it causes autism.

I should add that we went gluten and dairy free.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:26 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I have done my research since I have a son with Autism. I think that it is brought on by genetics.

Answer by gemgem at 1:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• You can't avoid making the connection. Just look at the symptoms of heavy metals poisoning. The kidneys our "filtration system" is affected. The digestive system is affected, affected so badly that the nutrients for food can't be absorbed by the organs. I think that doctors should stop worrying about law suits and start running tests for heavy metal poisoning on Autistic children. But do both tests not only the tests for recent exposure. But for long term exposure. I'd bet if you start asking the parents of autistic children about heavy metaqls testing most of them won't have any idea about. They usually attribute the child's symptoms with mental disorder. If your child suffers from insomnia, seems irritated, have nausea, have problems with sensory stimuli you better look for a good doctor.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:32 PM on May. 2, 2011

• The vaccine link has been disproven in multiple independent studies! More and more health professionals are beginning to believe that Autism is genetic. Gluten could be a cause or a stimulant for it as well, but that needs further research. I'm so sick of ppl ignoring medical science and continuing to beleive that vacs cause it. If you don't want to vax, that's your choice, but I know 2 kids who have never had a vax and still have Autism/Aspergers.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• MMXI, I disagree with in that parents of autistic children haven't a clue about heavy metal testing. All the ones I've been in contact with in many of the Autism groups here on CafeMom seem to be experts in that area and are well aware of the physical causes that affect mental status.
    Anonymous