Military families adult content

I am so thankful for the work and sacrifice that our armed forces and their families make for the rest of us.

I am thankful that Bin Laden is no longer a threat to us, thanks to these men and women.

BUT, I feel certain that none of our troops gets a thrill over killing. I don't think any of them are over there because they get to shoot people. I know that is a nasty part of the job, they will do what needs doing...but not with malice.

So, my question is...Do you think that Americans having a "party" on the lawn of the White House, or posting vulgar photo's of Lady Libberty holding the severed head of Bin Laden makes us no better than him? What he did was savage, disgusting etc. But don't you think to pat ourselves on the back makes us look just as bad?

I give credit where credit is due...the armed forces. I truly hope this gives the families of the victims of 9/11 a sense of justice being served. But I think this "victory" is a serious matter and not someting the get so out of control over. Cheer on the troops, but don't glorify killing.

Your thoughts?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:19 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i say it's not over. there were too many people following him for us to think they won't continue without him. we would lash back if they killed OUR main man right? i think we should still be on alert
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 1:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I will say exactly what I said last night on FB. "For those of you rejoicing in his death I would caution you to remember a Martyr lives on long after they are gone."

Bin Laden being dead may give some degree of closure to families of victims. Terror is far from dead. They will martyr him, the will attempt to avenge his death. One hideously evil mastermind is dead, that is all.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Free Speech.. Different people celebrate justice in different ways.. To each their own..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• To pat ourselves on the back and saying we did good, is in no way on the same level of Bin Laden's evil. When my husband's on a deployment he's a very superstitious creature. He won't eat the candy out of his MREs, and at the end of every patrol he tells his guys. "We did good today, but tomorrow's a different story." That's kind of how I look at this here. We did good, we got Bin Laden, and it was done with minimal damage. Tomorrow there may be another who thinks he's going to be the one to destroy our way of life. Be glad he's gone in whatever manner you see fit to be glad in, but don't think for a minute this is over and we're done.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 1:41 PM on May. 2, 2011

• GrnEyedGrandma said it all.
    aishanabuaisha

Answer by aishanabuaisha at 1:44 PM on May. 2, 2011

• His actions were malicious, ours were revenge...two totally different things
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I agree with you. The drunken revelry in the streets was disquieting in a way I can't quite put my finger on.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:09 PM on May. 2, 2011

• All I am saying is to "glorify" his death puts us on the same level with him. That is NOT what should be celebrated. Celebrating victory and the unrelenting determination of our troops is great. BUT to show severed heads etc, makes us no better than him.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 3:06 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I sat watching with my daughter and her fiance who's being deployed in September. At first she considered this a "Good" thing. But as it sunk in, she started understanding that this will only make his deployment MORE dangerous. I do not agree with dancing in the streets over anyones death. This man was a terrorist and Justice was long over due, but "celebrating" makes us look just as bad to the world. How did we feel when we saw danicing in the streets over there on 911? I fear this will only spur on retaliation and that scares me. May God Bless the USA and watch over all of our service men and woman today and always!
    knappkin

Answer by knappkin at 3:55 PM on May. 2, 2011