Clinton says cooperation with Pakistan helped find Bin laden, thoughts?

WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead the U.S. to al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and the compound outside the Pakistani capital where he was killed by American special forces.

Speaking to reporters at the State Department on Monday, Clinton thanked Pakistan for its cooperation and said the country "has contributed greatly to our efforts to dismantle al-Qaida." She said that "in fact, cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound in which he was hiding."

Clinton's comments came amid questions over whether Pakistani intelligence and military officials knew of bin Laden's whereabouts so close to Islamabad and whether they had shared the information with the U.S.

So no blowback from our actions there..seems all was done boldly, correctly....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:20 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• More questions than definite answers...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think I'd like to hear from Pakistsn themselves. Funny how last month they were ordering us to cut CIA operations and now they helped us find and kill Bin Laden? I do think it's strange that we have not heard anything from Pakistan.

Pakistan has demanded that the United States steeply reduce the number of Central Intelligence Agency operatives and Special Operations forces working in Pakistan, and that it put on hold C.I.A. drone strikes aimed at militants in northwest Pakistan, a sign of the near collapse of cooperation between the two testy allies.

I think she was speaking in general terms and maybe a bit of CYA?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think that was a very carefully phrased statement that doesn't equivocally say they were supporting us, only that their information was a part of the whole. Why is it the time we don't tell them in advance is the one that works?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Monday, Clinton thanked Pakistan for its cooperation and said the country "has contributed greatly to our efforts to dismantle al-Qaida." She said that "in fact, cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound in which he was hiding."

I think this is a pretty clear statement...No questions. Also this morning on Morning Joe, they said pakistan wanted them to announce it last night...they were supportive of the announcement...

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/2/musharraf-bin-laden-mission-violated-pakistan/
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Right (with sarcasm) ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:57 PM on May. 2, 2011