Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


I have three kids in middle school one in 8th grade and two in 7th grade. One child is my cousin whom my husband and I have sole custody. This school year has been a nightmare...when we first got temporary custody of my 12 year old cousin she had a caseworker due to her being removed from the home she was living in and she was placed with us. She started going to school with our children, shortly after being placed with us I had a not so pleasant conversation with her caseworker about how unprofessional she was. Shortly after that she showed up at the children school had a conversation with the school counselor and CPS was called on our family, the reason " the children were not being fed enough...not that were not being fed according to the school not being fed ENOUGH! The CPS person and police officer that came to our home shook their heads and both said, they were not going to file a report and that this was ridicules. Well, this last Friday we get a phone call from a CPS person saying that they are at the school again...the concern the kids are not being fed enough ??? The CPS person spoke to our children and said they wasn't that much of a concern so she would not come out to speak with us on Friday she would come out on Monday( today). I am so upset with the school, my kids said, they feel like they are being singled out..always being asked how is everything going at home? are you alright? are you hungry? of course ALL kids are always hungry! So upset! I don't know what to do. Do I file some sort of a complaint with the school? the school board?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (29)
  • Both!! And speak to a supervisor at CPS!! Get them all in a meeting if you can!


    Answer by Crafty26 at 1:33 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • Yes file a complaint against the teachers, admin and whoever else you think is involved. Put it in writing. Get whatever in writing you can from CPS and ask them to please do something to stop this harassment so you wont have to go before a judge and ask for a restraining order. Its that or change schools.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:36 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • op here- Not sure how to even go about it???? Any advice would help so much. Thanks.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:36 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • Oh one more thing I have said before my friend is a former cps worker. Anyway she has always told me when a family hires a private family lawyer they get off the families backs unless it is extreme abuse they can prove. Go see a family attorney and hire then on retainer. Any family law lawyer should do this, they love money anyway. Then when cps calls you can say you have a lawyer and wish to speak to them in front of said lawyer only.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • She has a supervisor at the CPS office, speak to them....have THAT person come to your house & get a lawyer....gemgem is right. Lawyers are a bug spray for CPS... unless they have valid evidence of abuse.

    I would also go & talk to the school principal & see whats up...

    Answer by samurai_chica at 1:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • Ugh, those are the people that give CPS a bad name! You and your children have rights, and yes this sounds like harrassment. I need to file a complaint with the caseworkers supervisor and with the school.

    Answer by Namaste17 at 1:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • You, not I*

    Answer by Namaste17 at 1:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • Oh i would deffinately file a complaint, hell even harassment charges if possible

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:55 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • most of the time after a case such as your has been investigated the first time they usually wont bother you again..i wouldnt necessarily think it was the school calling cps..i would be wondering if its your family members case worker..your family member may be telling all these things bc shes not happy living with you and your family..especially if you are not letting her have her way..your best bet would be to go to cps and talk to a supervisor and inform the school that they are not allowed to speak to any of your kids without you present..that way they would have to have serious papers in order to pull the kids out of class otherwise that would be considered intereupting instructional time...put the screws to them..and also be sure you have all of your bases covered bc they can play hard ball...reason im giving all this advice is bc my sd 14 tried to pull this same crap on me and got the police, school and cps involved and

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 2, 2011

  • after all of her games her butt got shipped to boot camp thru the state for makin false just be sure you are not at fault in any way possible..good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.