My son wants to go on a school trip to Wa DC next year. Need grant or fundraising ideas-please help

I really want him to go, he is a straight A student and works really hard. We don't have a lot of money, we can pay some but not the full $25oo+. I wish I was rich and could just write a check and go with him too, lol. But also, my son knows he has to earn things he wants. We live in a rich area although we are not rich so all his friends get motorcycles and such for bdays. I told him if he wanted one, to save up his money. He did, and a year later he bought one himself! He worked really hard and learned a great lesson, not to rely on others! Any ideas are appreciated. The only thing i can think of is for him to mow lawns, and maybe do a car wash. Thanks!

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 1:48 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ask you local grocery store if you can set up a table for a bake sale? Sell bottled water and cheap sodas too. Pet walking (or bathing) is another money maker. Good luck to him!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yes, I would have him do odd jobs to make money but also try to help out and see in town or in school if you could recieve any help they might have a grant or something and you could help out if you don't work or want to by voluntaring your time.

:) Good luck and happy for you and your son, sounds like your raising a wonderful man. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am an independent distributor with Mia Bella's scented candles and I'm willing to do fundraisers. If you are interested let me know and I'll give you the information.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:53 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Thanks ladies! KFree907, you made my day, thank you so much! MrsMWF that is so kind of you!
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on May. 2, 2011

• cafepress.com - you can design items on here and sell them at ur price. etsy.com -you can sell stuff you make and I think it costs like 20cents to list an item. You can always sell household items at a swap meet or a garage sale. You can set up a dog walking, lawn mowing, or errand service. You can always look at craigslist.com for jobs, etc in your area. If he needs business cards he can go to vistaprint.com which is inexpensive and just give some out. Just spread the word and most people would be glad to help someone towards their goal.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:27 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I live next to Wash. DC in Maryland. A trip to DC shouldn't cost that much. We fly out to Seattle, WA on Southwest and our RT ticket was around $280 last November, 2010. Many of the tourist attractions in DC are free, some are $10. I think you would do better to take him yourself and depending upon where you decide to stay, taxi to attractions or rent a car (if you don't mind driving in city traffic). There is a metro system that isn't as good as NYC but will get you where you need to go & Metro transit bus system. Major hotels downtown can be expensive during tourist season but surprisingly around Xmas, most DC hotels offer steep discounts b/c that is a slow season. We were able to rent the presidential suite at the Omni (Shoreham) hotel for $300/nte on Dec. 20th. Don't come to DC during the summer, it is hot, humid, miserable w/crowds. There are DC tour buses all over the place that drive you on guided tours of DC
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 2:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am a consultant with Scentsy Candles and I do fundraisers with the company. If you would be interested PM me and we can figure something out! Your son sounds like he is going in the right direction, good job mom!
    cheyegirl82

Answer by cheyegirl82 at 6:12 PM on May. 26, 2011