any one who has had a blood test done for a pregnancy test..

i've asked this before and never got an answer... and i'm just curious how much they cost.. to me they seem like theyd be like a hundred dollars or really expensive...

and no i'm not pregnant (OR TRYING) so all you smartbutt moms out there i don't want to hear "if you can't afford a pregnancy test then you can't afford a baby" lol

this is just a curiosity question! and trying to conceive i feel is a good place to put it because thats where i'm sure mothers would know

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• I had one when I was pregnant with my second child, no ins., went to the lab and it cost me $28. It does vary depending on where you go, but I don't think it's that expensive. The expensive part will be that you might have to go to the dr and get orders for bloodwork for the lab to draw the blood. Otherwise, the health department in your county might do them, or maybe one of those walk-in urgent care type centers, but I don't know how much it would be.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• It shouldn't be. You can find clinics that offer them. Around here they call them Doctors Clinics not sure about where you are. You can call and ask how much it costs because I am sure the amount varies to where you live. It's more accurate than a HPT so I always did that instead since it calculates the actual ammount of HCG you have and helps determine your gestation as well as just that you are pregnant.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 12:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i guess youe insurance would cover it if you have some but why have blood taken when you can just pee
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Can you get a blood test done sooner that a pee stick test? That's what *I* want to know! I just don't want to wait to find out!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 12:38 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• symle.. i know alot of times moms on here think there pregnant but are getting negative results and people are always reccomending going and getting your hcg calculated through a blood test so i was just wondering how costly that actually is
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• mamacat.... I would think so.. but i don't know.. cause sometimes you are pregnant and get neg results because there isn't enough HCG in it... so im sure if it shows theres some in your blood that you are.. ? just my guess though
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I think that it depends on whether or not you have insurance. I have had several HCG test because I had an ectopic pregnancy and my levels had to be monitor. I just got pregnant again and had several more so that they good make sure that my HCG levels were rising properly. With the insurance plan that I have they each have cost me about $9.50. , after my insurance paid it's portion. However, I got luck and the hospital didn't believe me for any of the remaining balance because they felt the amount wasn't worth collecting.  I had them at a hospital and I think the hospital billed the insurance company about $168 for each test.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Planned parenthood takes blood for preg tests. They are probably the cheapest if somone does not have insurance. I wish everyone good luck, I know its hard when you are ttc.
    misscomplex9890

Answer by misscomplex9890 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If you have insurance it should be free if you go see your Ob/Gyn and ask for it.
    PinkGirl87

Answer by PinkGirl87 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You could call labs in your area. Some around here will give blood tests for $15-$20. Generally a dr does not need to request it unless you have insurance, then it is for insurance billing. That could just be here. Ask the labs (even if they are in a hospital) what their protocols are and costs. If they cannot do it, they might know who can. And yes, if you get a neg pee test, you could still be preggers and it will show on bloodwork. It will also show on pelvic exam.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous