It's still the economy- Sticker shock for Americans?

Link text

I actually heard some one on the radio say they were afraid this was Obamas ticket to reelection. I had to chuckle but then I did have to dig through the internet to find anything other than Bin Laden news.
How long it lasts... probably a few days for the most part, a little longer for some media outlets.
Of course this won't help the economy any. People are still out of work, housing is down the tubes, the FED is lying to us and the economy isn't getting any better for most. I don't think this guy has anything to worry about. What do you think?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:01 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As much as I hate Obama, I think he already has 2012 tied up and will win. There's no one else out there right now that is strong enough to compete against him and win.
    Anonymous

• I don't think this will guarantee him a win. It depends on who runs against him. And what they say they're going to do.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:09 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Anonymous is right. None of the names being currently floated can beat him. This will help him no doubt.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• People have short-term memories.

In 1978, Jimmy Carter stood with Sadat and Begin at Camp David as two different accords were signed. At the time it was said those accords also sealed up Carter's re-election.

And then we actually got to the election -- with gas shortages and what was relatively high prices for the time yielding rationing and long lines at the pumps. We had Iranian hostages. We had gross inflation. And then we had a new POTUS.

This seals nothing for Obama. His legacy will always include the tag - he authorized the military action that brought down Public Enemy #1. It may or may not follow that line with "and then won re-election."

In political years May 1st 2011 is a life time away from November 6, 2012. Anything can happen between now and then.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Agree ldm ..George Bush sr ..first persian gulf war..he didnt get re-elected
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:31 PM on May. 2, 2011

• And just to be fair --

I was also a seemingly "accepted fact" that George H.W. Bush would be in for an automatic re-election after the short march into Iraq to free Kuwait in the early 90s. And then folks remembered "read my lips, no new taxes" and we got Sax playing Bill Clinton.

Nothing is a done deal. This is a big news. This is a win for us ALL. It can't *hurt* Obama, but it's not going to make anything a given.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:31 PM on May. 2, 2011

• IT was...not I was. ... ugh. rushing. not good.
    ldmrmom

• I think many will see this as a great Obama victory, (we know its not his victory), and will praise him for it. I do think that this is the beginning of his political ploy's to get re-elected. In the next year many more things will happen that make him look splendid, he will take the credit and he will win. He won the first election playing on the media and people believing his crap and he will probably win the next because of the same thing.  I hate it.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:32 PM on May. 2, 2011

• So these politicians only work when there re-election is coming up?
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 2:39 PM on May. 2, 2011

Seems that way.
    chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 3:26 PM on May. 2, 2011