Would you be mad?

My neighbor and I had a playdate and we invited a girl that just moved in across the street to bring her kids and have a good time. She said, "Id love to, Im a Mary Kay consultant, would you mind if I did a few facials at the beginning of it then we can just hang out since I don't know anyone around here and I need to get an new customer base?" We didn't see a problem with it at all and told her it would be fun. Well she ended up coming WITHOUT her kids and said it is because she was on 'business' and didn't think her kids should have come with her. She spent probably an hour explaining all her products and letting us try them and then asked if we would like to order anything. I didn't, im not sure if any of the other moms did though. Then she said ok well have a good playdate, packed her stuff and left. I feel used! We invited her to help her make some friends but apparently she only wants customers. Would you have been mad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• no more play dates for her for awile huh?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would have been very mad...I would have also spoken up and told her that now was just not an good time as you all had something very different planned...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:36 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would have been upset.

I do at home parties along with my website but of course my products aren't for kids so kids and my work do not go together. If it had been me I would have asked the moms if they wanted a catalog but it would have been in a sealed envelope with mom's name and I would have brought kids for the play date. She used the "who do you know" opportunity in a negative way. She could have done the play date then asked if you guys wanted to do facials or product conversation at another time when y'all could all be kid free and really relax and talk about her products.

Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 12:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I wouldn't be mad, but would be hestitant to invite her to anymore playdates. That was definatley tacky of her. If she wanted customers, she should have come to the playdate, say that she was a MK consultant and see if anyone would book at show.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:37 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• What did she think all of the other moms kids would be doing while she was there giving facials? She shoud have just brought her kids. She obviously doesn't feel that she needs some new friends. She might have needed some a lone time though but she should have brought her kids along atleast. Oh well. Shrug it off because I have way more annoying neighbors! Atleast you didn't buy anything. If she come around again tell her that you already have an avon consultant, Me! Ha ha. If you actually want to check out my website though feel free and then you have an excuse. He he.
    www.youravon.com/krife
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If she come around again tell her that you already have an avon consultant,

Actually it is funny you say that.One of our friends that was at the playdate is a Mary Kay consultant and we told her that beforehand. I told her that if I do buy MK it is always from my friend since I know her and she said oh that's ok, Id still like to come and do facials just for the fun of it. So she came KNOWING that most of us would buy from our friend before her anyway.
    Anonymous

• Yes I would be made...she is a phony...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• ugh, yeah, I'd have been mad! Wasted an hour of my time when I was TRYING to help you out- is how I would have felt. I hate how pushy some women can be- and it's usually Mary Kay women. Not all women in Mary Kay are like that, thankfully, but I was pressured to sign up to sell by one of those pushy wenches when I was in college a few years ago. Didn't make a single sale, either.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 4, 2008