Do you think it is hard for a family mom with little kids to stay friends with a single mom with a grown kid?

She says what are you doing for mothers day, can you come with me to a dinner/club thing I am spending it with my kids and man as i have been doing for the past 10 years.

I am starting to think we won't remain friends because she is always like i have nothing to do-the weekends are for my self and kids-she ask all the time to come to spend a weekend.

I am seriously working on my family so how can I entertain a single friend. :(

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 2:07 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Entertainment

• I find it hard to have friends as a mother period.. I don't know why, it becomes too chaotic when I have to make plans that don't include my child I guess. I have one friend who doesn't have children and we've been friends for 15 years.. we make a plan to meet for lunch about once very other month but I bring my son who loves her and we all have a good time.. other than that, I wouldn't be able to.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:10 PM on May. 2, 2011

• While it can be hard, it's also not impossible. Think of how the two of you are good for each other. Maybe you draw her more into the values of family time, which is a good thing. And maybe she encourages you to go out and have fun as a person (as opposed to just a mom), which is also a good thing. Instead of blaming the difficulty of this friendship on the ages of all your kids, I'd say that the real difficulty is the ability and willingness of both of you to find time for each other.

Take her up on her dinner offer. Just ask if you can bump the date to a more convenient day that doesn't encroach on your weekend family time.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• group hugI think if it's a true friendship, it will withstand most anything, as long as both put the effort in. I know it's been tooooo long since I have "had a girl's night" when my girls come to my house and literally take me away!!! I then am forced (yea, they held me down..LOL) to commit to AT LEAST a once a week chitchat with one of them........we can't always get together, but we all understand why and that just makes it even more fun when we do get together.............

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Wow, good question...just recently my GF got a divorce and she has her kids every other weekend and I have yet to see her 'cos I do have a young boy. She's leading the single life now and our visits are far and in between now. And I have like three single friends that want me to go out but I just can't. I have a family to raise and well, I feel they can meet me half way.
    MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 8:51 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My kids are teens. I've always had and maintained relationships with a variety of people, some have no kids, some never married, some with older kids. I don't usually go out at night but I've always met friends for lunch, gone to festivals, farmers markets, etc. If you plan your social life around your kids, you are very soon going to be lonely. Teens don't hang around with their parents, and they get to be teens in the blink of an eye.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 11:16 AM on May. 3, 2011

• You might find you have less and less in common.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:32 PM on May. 3, 2011