Shoes

I have always been super picky about the shoes my dd wears. I don't think I ever got her a pair at Payless or Wal-Mart. For some reason I always have been picky about the fit, style, and durability. She wore K-Swiss for the longest time. Now she is old enough to pick out her own shoes and it is almost always Converse, Vans, or Sketchers.

Are you picky about your kids shoes? Or is it just me?

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:12 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• No I am not picky about it. I am picky about price. I see no reason to spend large amount of money on something they out grow quickly. (or in the case of my boys, tear up quickly..they were always rough on shoes as kids). Name brands don't impress me. My kids out grew & wore out name brand stuff just as quickly as cheaper shoes. I have a friend that I consider vain about shoes because she refuses to buy anything that isnt name brand. If people want to waste money on it, they let them. I personally see no reason to.
    Anonymous

• I always tell my girls, it does not matter the name or where you bought it from.

As long as you look good in it. Walaaaa, I think it is kind of shallow but I don't want them to believe you must always buy name brand stuff sometimes shoprite is better then Kellogs, if you know what I mean...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't like to get payless brand or walmart because they are usually more heavy than others. I like converse for my son but sometimes he needs more traction so I have been getting him Nike. I think they have more styles too and if I find a good pair for 40 bucks than I'll take it. My son grows out of shoes so fast that he can only have about 2 pairs at a time. He's 3 an wears a size 10 and he's 31/2 feet tall already.
    Anonymous

• I only buy shoes for mine at Payless or Walmart. Payless have always fit my dd better than anywhere, and they have held up good. She did get a couple pairs of Sketchers for back to school that were great. As fast as they outgrow shoes, I can't afford expensive ones often!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I am not picky about everything... Just shoes. I just remember wearing PayLess shoes when I was little and them always falling apart. I have heard they are better now. Also when she was younger we had a lot of issues with the fit of shoes.

I had a lot of problems with my feet as I got older and my podiatrist attributed it to not having the right shoes as my feet were forming. I have had 4 foot surgeries to correct the problems.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Shoes dont have anything to do with how your feet "form". Babies dont even NEED shoes till they walk. I've wore shoes from kmart, payless ect all my life & my feet "formed" just fine.
    Anonymous

• Well.. My feet did not. and I have had four different foot surgeries from three different podiatrists to correct it. I was told more than once that it was shoes.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:25 PM on May. 2, 2011

• So far I have gone with the cheap shoes since DD wears them for maybe a season and then they are too small. She has yet to wear a pair out, she outgrows them long before that happens. I will say that may have to change one day as she seems to have my husband's feet, meaning she has really wide, high-arched feet. My DH has to spend good money on shoes otherwise he can't find anything that gives him a good fit or comfort. For me, I would rather spend the same amount and get three pairs of less expensive shoes and have the variety in my closet. I care more about the look of the shoe, and the affordability, than I do about the label on the tag.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:27 PM on May. 2, 2011

• The labels I mentioned are the ones that seem to fit her well. There are many more expensive brands out there. For example neither one of us can wear Nikes or Reboks.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I buy name brand shoes for my kids because I think they're better quality, fit better, and last longer. Zappos has good name brand shoes for very decent prices. I'd rather spend the money on a good pair that's going to last until they outgrow them.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:41 PM on May. 2, 2011