Do you give your kids too much??

My sister in law buys her daughters (8 &10) everything they want. They just sit around and text all day or play on the computer.

I went to the mall with them and we were looking in the shoe store. They both came up with two different pairs of shoes and said they wanted them. My sister in law said okay and kept talking to me like it was nothing. She never picked out anything for herself.

Do you let your kids have whatever without working for it or saying please and thank you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• nope!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:15 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My kids as kids got most of what they wanted mainly because they never asked for much.

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My kids have rarely asked me for anything. They get something for their birthdays, Xmas, and for good report cards. They've each learned the value of a dollar and were actually earning (via chores), saving, and buying their own toys/gadgets from the age of 5.
    Anonymous

• no no no. my mother did though! now i have a 5 yr old that cries when i dont get him a toy from every store we walk into! she would also make my step dad let him have the tv so now he expects to watch it exactly when he wants it. when she babysat him i would hear that its her house and if she wants to spoil him its her money. NOW she sees the problem that resulted from it! its so hard!!! he was never like this!!
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2011

• We do give them too much. That said, it's less than many we know. They have about the right amount of clothes, and just too many toys. We get a little excited about holidays, and they have a LOT of relatives who buy for them, so it's lots of little junk, plus what my husband and I get (which is often a little too nice, I think) They don't play with toys much, except with friends and rainy days and when they're supposed to be sleeping. On nice days, we kick them out :-). I try to encourage outdoor/active toys. We're still working on that.

I think I do let them pick out too much junk food at the grocery store. Even if it's not a lot- fruit snacks and herb crackers once, pirate's booty the next... it does add up.

They are expected to always say "please" or "thank you". Without it, they are unlikely to get so much as the ketchup passed to them.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my oldest always says please and thank you (okay the 4 month old can't speak yet, lol, so I won't count her in this).
    If I am going shopping for the kids, yes, I let my 3 year old help pick out what she wants. But she knows when we aren't shopping for her and she's okay with that too.. if she's a good girl I sometimes will pick up something small for her for being such a big help with her sister or something.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:03 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Heck no, totally depends on the day, finances and what he wants. He knows that we don't buy him everything he wants and sometimes he uses his own money.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:39 PM on May. 2, 2011

• no, but they are still little, When it comes to clothes and shoes I usually give in v=but as teens they will and better e respectful!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:00 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I work a lot and we do shop I always buy both kids and hubby stuff and question my purchases I think they have more than they can handle especially when we opened a toy container in the hall closet and it was unopened brand new toys we forgot about from Christmas before last...I am very guilty and I need to stop!
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:00 AM on May. 3, 2011