What I do with my kids is none of YOUR business.

I was watching my friends son, and he told me he smoked pot when he was 6, he is now 9. I asked his mother if this was true and she responded with 'what I do with my kids is none of your business'. So I explained to her it becomes my business when he is saying this in MY house in front of MY 3yo. She claims she did not enable the pot smoking, and I believe her but it still has me dumbfounded why she would tell me it's none of my business if she didn't enable it.

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 2:15 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• you are right, it becomes your concern as soon as he says it in your home. sounds fishy to me
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• She must have a super-talented six year old to be able to roll his own J or fill his own bowl. I mean, since she didn't enable it and all.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

• she didn't enable it?> Meaning Yes? at 6 her son smoked pot?? is he still around that? Wow,.. I would have a very hard time being friends with someone like this.. so sorry
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My son is 7 and doesn't even know what pot is, let alone how to smoke it or even that its supposed to be smoked! This is insane, I would call CPS on this one, and I usually am one to stay out of it.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 6:10 PM on May. 2, 2011

• maybe he's crying out for help... Some kids just say things, and are really trying to reach out to someone who will listen.

pick up the phone...

steph_twins

Answer by steph_twins at 5:03 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Well...in my case it is actually my business. Quite literally. I am a social worker. Any child who ingests illegal chemicals or harmful substances - that is considered abuse. I am obligated by law to report it to the appropriate authorities. How those responding agencies act is up to them. But no, I can't ignore it. Friend, family member, or patient...information like that is not for me to ignore. And honestly, I don't know of any friend I keep who would find it amusing or acceptable to let a child smoke or be around pot while it is being smoked. Any adult who tells me defensively to mind my own business knows straight up what comes next. I tell them. And then whatever happens happens.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Why would you be friends with someone like that?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:52 AM on May. 3, 2011

• Well, I think that she was being defensive, maybe she knew it happened ( who knows by who) and she is embarrssed by it! BUT you have ever right to say something not justb/c it is in your house, but b/c it concerns a minor!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:35 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Yeah. That's weird. My dd is eight and wouldn't know what to do with a joint. She sure as shit wouldn't know how to get any weed.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Shoot im 26'and i still.wouldnt know how to roll one lol@ shaken1976
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 2:51 PM on May. 2, 2011