Is the second child ALWAYS worse than the first?

I am pregnant with my second and people tell me all the time that she won't be near as good as my first. Which I have to admit, it would be hard to be better than her becauase she is 5 and has always been a good sleeper, good eater and usually always well behaved. So I am scared of what my next is going to be like since I am use to such a good child!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not true. My kids are total opposite. But they are both very good. Ds is calm and content, dd is very active and loves to be moving, but both are so good.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• no! my second was an angel, she slept through the night early.. heck she is still easier than her sister!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My parents wanted about 12 kids till my older brother was born. He was a terror. They had me 2.5 yrs later, and I was an angel compared to him. They had one more by accident, and that was enough!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• BOTH of mine were great sleepers and BOTH of mine were great eaters and BOTH of mine are very well behaved. Who makes up this nonsense???
    Anonymous

• Depends.. we had about the hardest infant toddler ever and everyone tells me the opposite.. "your second will be the opposite" so who knows.. I know many people who have 2, 3 or more "perfect" kids like what your first sounds like.. and others who have one of each..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Actually my first was a horrible baby..I dont mean "bad" like that..I mean he cried a LOT, he didnt sleep well, he gave me hell trying to breastfeed him..so much so that I was in tears most of the time...then I had my 2nd & he was like HEAVEN. He barely made a peep. He slept like a log. He ate everything you gave him. So, no people dont know what they are talking about. Every baby is different. They are different people. Different personalities.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe that and don't believe you should either. Each child is diffrent and that is that. :)

I have 4 and each were diffrent, as a matter of fact. All of them were good sleepers, my son though which was my last I had to wake up in the middle of the night to feed him. He would have slept for 10 hours lol. Just an example.

My second child is an angel. :) Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:21 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My oldest was so easy as a baby, and he still is to this day. His little sister is a crazy, silly, emotional girl but she is so much fun. I do think its more work for her but she's not a "bad" kid.
    lovepotato

Answer by lovepotato at 2:22 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No. Each child is different. What probably stands out is that there is only one of you and soon you will need to split your time 3 ways - husband, 1st child and baby with newborn taking up the most time. I had four, so my toddlers were so helpful taking the baby diaper to the diaper pail, holding the baby (sitting on the floor with me), getting things, and singing to the baby etc. I just made sure to have alone time with each child at bedtime or bathtime.
    flightless

Answer by flightless at 2:24 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No, my second child is an angel, 95% of the time, and slept great for years (she is still OK).

I do think that, when they get older and in school, they will try to be different from each other whatever it takes, but as small children, I disagree. Oh, and eating... they tend to pick up on the older one for eating. My 2nd eats very little like my 1st did. But now that she's 4, she started picking up cues from other kids and does better. My 3rd eats everything :-).
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:28 PM on May. 2, 2011