anyone know the pros/cons of a 6mth. old getting their flu shot?

pinkclover

Asked by pinkclover at 12:44 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know. It seems to be a hot topic. My parents think it's horrible to give a healthy baby a flu shot. I got the first half of the shot for my 7 mo. old but he is supposed to get the booster shot in the next week. I haven't decided if I should take him or not. I got the flu shot last year when I was pregnant with him and I got deathly ill. I threw up every hour for two days. I had to go to the hospital.
    Tory1227

Answer by Tory1227 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My DD got hers around 10 mos old. They have to get one, and then a second 4 weeks later the first time the get it. My DD was so sick for 3 weeks after the first, then better for a week, and got sick again for a few wks after the second dose. I haven't gotten a flu shot for her since.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• my daughter got hers done at ll months what they did with her is gave her half of the dose and she goes back wednesday for the other half. there were no effects with her. she was just pissed cuz she had to get shots.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• There has been question over the effectiveness of flu shots. I have learned that lots and lots of vitamin D. (double the previously recommended amount) will prevent the flu. Why give a flu shot if it makes them sick and weakens the immune system?
    Anonymous

• Not entirely sure, but my dd got it at 6 months last year w/o any problems. My dh got the flu but baby and I were fine since we'd both had the shot.

http://www.babycenter.com/204_flu-vaccine-protects-young-children-well-study-shows_10303415.bc?scid=momstodd_20081202:2&pe=2U1Br7Z
    Anonymous

• my 6 month old has his first half the other day, he seems to be fine. he goes back in a month for the second half...
    It depends on what you as mama decides...Don't let anyone tell you any different...
    Anonymous