Do you think it's wrong for a mom to give her 17 year old son a bed time at night?

I know a 17 year old who complains to me because his mother makes him get in bed no later than ten o clock if not earlier. He is perfectly capable of waking himself up for school and going to sleep when he's tired. He says it bugs him because he sees no point in having a bed time when he knows he won't go to sleep at that time. He says he ends up just laying there for an hour or two. She won't let him watch tv or anything until he gets tired. I remember when I was younger I was the same so my parents quit setting a bed time for me when I was old enough so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind laying in bed until I finally got sleepy. Does anyone think that's wrong? He's 17.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

• veryyy wrong!! my my goodness once your in high school i think you know when your tired enough to got o bed LOL
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:54 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I agree with krazyash023.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is almost seventeen and she goes at eleven. she is still in skool that is the top priority and thats the way it is in my home. when she is out of skool then she can stay up later,but when you live in my home i don't want people up watching tv or talking on their cells at twelve or one when i am trying to sleep. so no i don't think it is wrong
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• That's not okay. He's growing up and his parents are trying to keep control of him. How is he ever going to learn responsibility if they don't even let him make his own bed time?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:58 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would hesitate to answer because we have no idea what issues the mom has with him. We are only hearing a teenager's POV. BTW: teens need much more sleep than we do.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 12:59 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• becuz if you don't set a time they will stay up till they cant keep their eyes open any longer and then there will be a problem in the morning or with them being tired at skool. my daughter knows she has to get her sleep or she is no good the next day.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• he's good about going to bed when he is tired. He doesn't try to stay up too late. He is a good kid too. He does all his work, chores, never did drugs, drink or anything. He's a great student and the mom IS very controlling in many other aspects than that. He goes to sleep around 11- 11:30 but she wants him in bed before ten or at ten.
    Anonymous

• My kids went to bed at 9pm every night, even weekends tell they were out of my house. Because I went to bed at that time. That meant lights out, no TV, radio, no noises. Like I told them you don't have to sleep. But you have to lay their and be quiet. Even if they didn't sleep they would get the rest they needed.

Even kids in high school need rules to go by. Bed time is a rule just like any other rule.

Answer by louise2 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Exactly louise2!

Why doesn't Mr. "I wanna stay up" come live at MY house and I can go to his house and be told to go to sleep.....

sounds dreamy
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• well my daughter is in bed around eleven and she goes herself is ten too early yes i think if he has no problems with skool or grades or being tired. but i am not for them staying up like i said til twelve or one just cuz they can
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2008