For moms that had children 5+ years apart.....

My DD will be 6 in Dec and this baby girl is due in Sept. We were not planning on any more children but it happened. We are very comfortable with our life because we can take our daughter anywhere and she stays at the grandparents alot and we have free time. And we love going to the beach and we have a lake house and I just can't imagine having a baby to contend with on the boat and at the beach again! So once you are out of the baby stage, how do you get back into it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• It comes natural, you won't have a problem. You just make sure you include your little one before the baby comes, remind her she was one too.

If you always include her, you should all be happy.

Congratulations!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:29 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It's easy - you'll get back into it. Mine are 8 years apart. The good part is that in a few years you will have a built in baby sitter
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• One diaper at a time. :)

I had a 15 year gap between my youngest & my baby. I think you'll find that your DD will be a lot of help. And babies love lake houses & beaches!

Congratulations ... I sure didn't plan my surprise baby, but I wouldn't change a thing now!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 2:30 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my son is 3-1/2 and that thought often comes up - IF we were to have one.. we'd be starting ALL over and having one child right now, works for us.. although our free time is with him and not as a couple away from him, its hard to imagine starting over.. I am not one that can handle a house full of kids and the screaming and fighting so I don't know How I'd do at a lot of it - I think you just DO IT and don't dwell on the negative and once again, like the first child, you adjust your life to make it work. Just know it probably means less time at grandparents but more family time.. think of the positives..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:31 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Just like riding a bike ... you never forget! Mine are 7 years apart.
    Anonymous

• You slip right back into it.
    Anonymous

• It's easier the second time around. The first few weeks are always a little exhausting, and by the time you catch your breath again, you can't imagine life without the new baby.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:40 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I was in the same situation. My son was 5 (turned 6 - 2 months after my daughter was born). Sadly, I have no advice. It was so weird and so hard being back in the baby stage with everything. I had seriously forgotten how hard it was! Plus - I was a single mom this time, so really, the first few months are a bit of a blur.

I'm sure my comment was very helpful. lol
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 3:45 PM on May. 2, 2011

• It was hard for me! My 3rd was 8 and I was very used to being a little more spontaneous, deciding to go to the beach on the spur of the moment, enjoying being able to play my favorite games (UNO, Sorry, etc.) with my kids, ride the big rides at amusement parks, etc. with them. Then I had my 2 yo and my 9 month old. I'm not sorry I had them - I love them to pieces as do their siblings and they truly complete our family, but it is a different life. I have to plan more, make sure we don't stay out too long after naptime, have food the little ones can eat, etc. If my life had been different, I would not have chosen for my kids to be so far apart in age.

Answer by missanc at 8:52 AM on May. 3, 2011