I know this season has passed...But I got into a discussion about it today..

Do your kids believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus? My dd does (did.. I don't think she believes anymore but isn't speaking up for fear of losing those gifts) Some people think it is lying to kids.

Also what age do you tell kids the truth IF they don't stop believing on their own.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 2:32 PM on May. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is just getting it at 3-1/2.. but I think it just makes holidays fun, I don't think of it as "Lying" like some people feel.
    I don't think my mom ever told us the truth, I think it just became a fun game and she liked doing it and "If you stop believing, then you stop receiving " was the rule in our house, which was her way of telling us I guess
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:37 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I just waited for him to confront me for real. LOL He was 12.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:49 PM on May. 2, 2011

• my first is 3 and we talked about the easter bunny.. she knows hes a symbolic figure and a fun story the same as her princess stories.. but its still just as fun for her.. same with santa.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:54 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I plan to wait until confronted like BradenIsMySon!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I don't tell. I think all kids will figure it out on their own when they are ready. If the parents are ready to stop pretending then they can encourage the discovery by slipping up some. I'm having difficulty because my older 2 (almost 11 and 9 1/2) know the truth. My 8 1/2yo says she believes and my 5yo does, too but she is too bright to not figure it out now. But I also have a 9mo who will eventually grow into the beliefs. I'm not big on Easter so I just stopped playing along. By the end of Easter day even my 5yo knew I was the one that hid the eggs and bought the Easter candy. I'm not sure if she'll carry that over to Christmas and Santa, though. I think my 8yo will, though.
    To me it's a natural process, not one that has to be forced at a certain age.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:35 PM on May. 2, 2011