Trisomy 18

I had a positive Screen for Trisomy 18. The result was 1:43. I am being referred to a specialist to have a better Ultrasound and possible amniocentisis, Has anyone had this kind of result with a Healthy outcome? I am devastated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• This may help you understand.......Trisomy 18: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:43 PM on May. 2, 2011

• My heart goes out to you! I don't have personal experience with this diagnosis, but if you need someone to talk to don't hesitate to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:46 PM on May. 2, 2011

• The tests have a high false positive rate. When they come back positive they are falsely positive more often than actually positive. Which is why I skip them entirely.

Obviously, I can't guarantee that everything will be fine, but I'll keep you and your little one in my thoughts.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:06 PM on May. 2, 2011

• When I had my AFP blood test it came back as positive risk for a chromosomal abnormality. After the level 2 ultrasound I was told that there were several soft markers that indicated a possibility of downs syndrome. I chose not to have the amnio. Although if I could do things over I would have had it. My rationale at the time was that if my child did have downs syndrome I wouldn't abort anyway so why have it. The drs put me through emotional hell thoughout my pregnancy though...insisted I have ultrasound after ultrasound and scared me all the way through. Ultimately, my son was born and was perfectly fine. If I'd had the amnio at least I could have just known at the beginning of pregnancy what I was or was not dealing with. The whole thing just put both my husband and I under so much stress and I'm sure my older son felt some of that too. Good luck! I hope everything turns out ok for you.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Had a Level 2 Ultrasound, Things look physically normal so far :-D.* except for measuring small. I am just waiting on the results of my Amniocentisis. Will let you all know the outcome. THank you all for praying

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:32 PM on May. 7, 2011

• We got the results to the Amniocentesis back and we are going to have a healthy baby boy :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 AM on May. 16, 2011