I can not seem to get my 2 1/2 year old son to poop in the potty.

I mean not to be mean but i yell at him and tell him he gotta poop in the potty. Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is he wearing underwear or is he still in diapers? If he is in underwear and he messes in them MAKE him clean them. he will do it then. I have never had a problem with my son going on the potty and he is just under 2 1/2. But my sister had problems with her son and thats what she did.
    Anonymous

• He is in pull-ups but i really dont like them cause It seems like another diaper to me. It sounds like a good idea but a bit nasty
    Anonymous

• Hes only 2 1/2. Thats not too old to NOT be potty trained. Most boys average about 3 before they get both ends going regularly. Cut him some slack and stop pushing on him. I wansn't even going to attempt PT but my 2 1/2 yr old decided that he wanted to go "tee". So he does, but he doesn't poop on the potty. He will get it and I am letting him move at his own pace. You can't make a child go to the potty and yelling at him isn't helping. You know that. Just calm down and keep directing him and showing him and keep him on a routine. He will get it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:49 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You can't force a child to potty train before they are ready. Even if they are ahead on all their other milestones, their bowels just might not be developed enough yet. I think the average ages for boys to train is well into year 3. My youngest is 2 1/2 and will sit on the potty for us but hasn't produced anything yet. I don't push it. He won't go to college in diapers and he'll get there when he's ready.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:52 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Most boys potty train from as early as 2 1/2 years or as old as 4 years! Just keep up with it and be consistent. Dont yell, or he'll revert back and not even want to pee in the potty. If he doesnt potty train right away it's not a big deal...my little cousin was almost 4 before he potty trained and my little brother was almost 5...
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 2:30 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My daughter wasn't able to poop in the potty til' almost 3 yrs old. I was greatful that she went pee in the potty so that saved diapers. I even switched her to regular underwear so that she'd feel how yalky it was against her butt. This seemed to trigger her to understand how that felt.
    Your little man may just need a little more time. He wants to please his mama but may not be able to do what your asking him to do right now. Try to understand that this is just as much a new thing for him as you learning Algebra for the 1st time. He just needs more time mama. So give him that. My nephew was almost 4 before he could poop on the potty. I think it was the water splashing up on his butt that scared him.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am not trying to be mean I just don't wanna him to think its ok to poop in his pants. If i say ok let me change your pull-up cause its dirty all the time he is going to think its ok to poop cause mommy is going to change me.
    Anonymous

• You can still talk about how he's getting to be a big boy and big boys use the potty without yelling or pressuring. He might just not have the bowel/bladder control yet.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Your right and I know the making him clean it thing sound gross but it works. But like the other moms have said it is not to old to not be potty trained my friends son is 3 1/2 and he still doesnt poop on the potty.
    Anonymous

• Ok I heard it from other post and i dont need to hear it again. I know its not right to yell at him.
    Anonymous