What to cut out and cut back on to say money? Wanna share your money saving tips with me?

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:10 PM on May. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you have kids in diapers, switch to cloth!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Drive the speed limit to get the best gas mileage to save on gas, coupon clipping from the sunday ad or looking for coupons online, minimize eating out as much as possible because eating out costs more and wastes gas, unplug tvs and phone charges when not using them, open miniblinds and dont use lights in the house when theyre not needed.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 3:13 PM on May. 2, 2011

• change your phone/internet plans, do away with extras.
    grocery shop more wisely..plan your meals, and eat more leftovers or be able to use leftovers in other meals. use coupons/grocery store sales. stop buying specialty items like sodas/fun drinks/bottled water etc....tap water is free and in most places, safe!!
    be sure that your 'rainy day' cash is kept..not used for 'little things'.
    do your own mani/pedis. if you use a salon, ask the stylist for only a basic service, not the styling/blow out..that usually costs extra, and you can do it at home yourself.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:15 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Cutting coupons, buying store brands instead of brand name, buying things we use a lot of in bulk, shopping at Aldi instead of the regular grocery store for some items, having a tracfone instead of a monthly cell phone plan, turn lights off during the day or when not in use, cutting out fast food/restaurants and eating at home...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:17 PM on May. 2, 2011

• This is just an idea...Save 10% of your monthly income put it in savings and do not touch it. I get paid biweekly so I take money out of that. Ditch comcast and direct tv if you need to have cable because you dont have any other source of entertainment then go dish network. I found digis to have cheap phone and internet too. Don't buy excessive things like some of the coupon horders do.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:58 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I find the thing I spend the most money on..is food. So I try to go to the grocery outlet as much as possible. We dont have cable,and only my husband has a cell phone. We try to share it. I dont coupon shop, instead I go to the discount market,because I honestly think the amount of time it takes me to do the whole coupon thing,wastes my time. I buy 90 percent of the family clothing at Goodwill, but that is because our town has a VERY good one. I know some of them are not so good.
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 4:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• We got rid of our cable several months ago and saved $110 a month. I thought it would be painful, particularly for me because I was addicted to HGTV. However, its not been so bad. The PBS station here has a special channel with home/gardening/travel shows all day and all evening so I can get my "fix" for free. Best of luck to you!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:48 PM on May. 2, 2011

• No junk food, eating out, no cable just antenna, Sell things you no longer need, carpool with coworkers if you can, Lights turned off, or just use nite light here and there,
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 7:52 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on May. 8, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:50 AM on May. 8, 2011